Feijoa?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Heidi Bells, May 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Heidi Bells

Heidi Bells New Member

Hello all! I absolutely fell in love with feijoa while I was in New Zealand. I'm trying to get a source for some seeds so I can try growing my own here in Vancouver, in a container. Does anyone have any feijoa, or seeds?
    And if you ever get the chance to try them, they are unlike anything I'd ever tasted before, totally wild!!
    Cheers

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

They are an interesting fruit, absolutely. I can't say I loved the taste of the fruit when I had it, but maybe one develops a taste for it.

I suspect a few of the specialty local nurseries would have it -- or maybe some of the zone-pushing growers who frequent the forums here.

3. Heidi Bells

Heidi Bells New Member

Thanks! I'll call around and see. :)

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Multiple independent garden centers down here stock them. Usually seedlings but sometimes supposedly clonal, named horticultural selections. So maybe there is a presence up there also.

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I bought a seedling Feijoa from GardenWorks on Lougheed in Burnaby in 2018 and noted that Port Kells Nurseries has the Mammoth variety in their catalog. I also bought seeds in 2018 and now have 30 one and two year old seedlings that have survived outside in Burnaby, with only a loose mulch for winter protection. The seedlings are easy to start, requiring no special care.

7. Heidi Bells

Heidi Bells New Member

Garden Works has them and I'm picking one up on Tuesday! Thanks for the info. Cheers :)

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Some Feijoas are self-fertile and others are not. It would be safer to have two seedling plants or two different varieties, if you want fruit.

9. Heidi Bells

Heidi Bells New Member

Oh terrific point! Thank you.
    ...2 it is :)