Help with indoor dragon plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jvc555, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Jvc555

Jvc555 New Member

Hello!

hoping someone may be able to suggest some ideas for my dragon plant. The plant has been losing leaves and very droopy. I’ve moved it over to a south facing window that gets indirect sunlight from a corner of my house that didn’t get much sun. I don’t believe this is an overwatering issue as I only water once I can stick my finger in the top without feeling moisture and also feel from the bottom drain holes. Wondering what else I may be missing here or if it might be appropriate to move outside once the temperatures stay above 20 degrees.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It sounds like you've been very careful not to over-water the plant. Perhaps you've taken it too far as the stems appear to be dessicated. The stems in the first photo show more dessication near the base of each stem. I hazard to guess the plants are dying and and are beyond recovery. The shorter stems appear to have some life left in them, judging by the relatively healthy foliage, so you might try cutting off the tips and propagating them.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I hate to admit it but I've seen Dragon Plants (Dracena marginata) in far worse shape than yours that have recovered so I do think there is hope. To me, the probem is lack of sufficient water. It could be that, when you water, the water isn't reaching the entire root system adequately. I'm a believer in giving houseplants lots of water when the soil is starting to feel dry and then making sure it drains off immediately. You could even submerge the pot into a larger one, fill with water and wait until bubbles stop rising to the surface. Then remove and drain.

It could also be that the plants have grown too large for the pot and that could exacerbate the watering issue. Consider moving it into a slightly larger pot with suitable soil to fill in around the circumference and then water thoroughly as above.

4. carlisa7

carlisa7 Member

Dracaena is very sensitive to fluoride in the water. If your water is fluoridated, you might try repotting it in fresh soil and then water it with distilled water instead of tap water.
    Fluorine Toxicity in Plants

5. Jvc555

Jvc555 New Member

thanks for this I did as you suggested with the watering to get it nice and soaked and it has noticeably perked your in just a few days. I must have been under watering so I’ll keep the frequency the same but use more water when doing so!