IS my Jasmine plant healthy? recommend ProMix High Porosity?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by a2008, Apr 21, 2020.

1. a2008

a2008 Member

I have a one year old jasmine. it's been 2 month that leaves turned to yellow , curly and fall off. even new leaves. what do you think? Is it due to some nutrition deficiency ? or too much chemical fertilizer?what Can I do?Is PRO MiX High Porosity Growing with Mycorrhizae good to change soil ?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Was the turn for the worse gradual? Did it start soon after you fed the plant? Which fertilizer did you use? Does it contain micronutrients? Have you checked for spider mites?

3. a2008

a2008 Member

Yes. I fertilzed every month with Miracle gro plant food 24-8-16 and then week later turned it to this color and shape. There were spider mites 4 months ago and I sprayed once every month since then with insecticidal soap but didn't change shape and color. 2 days ago changed soil to see if any change would happen which I dont think

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  4. Junglekeeper

The problem is likely related to the fertilizer. If you have been feeding the plant once a month since purchase and this happened only recently, then is it possible the solution was too concentrated that one time or that the medium was excessively dry? I think a balanced fertilizer would be more appropriate for this plant. Perhaps the problem is from a gradual buildup of fertilizer in the medium. Now that it has been changed, look for an improvement in the plant. You may want to refrain from feeding the plant in the meantime.

The way you have been using the insecticidal soap will likely control but not eradicate the spider mites. The spray should be repeated every 7-10 days in order to break the mite's life cycle.

a2008 likes this.
  5. a2008

a2008 Member

Thanks!
    Could be possible that solution was too concentrated as I didn't follow instruction! :) Should I start feeding the plant after one month of re potting? recently bought slow release fertilizer which is better I think( 14-14-14)
    Should I repeat the spray every 7 days for 3 or 4 time or 2 times is enough?

6. Junglekeeper

Depending on how much of the previous medium was replaced, you may want to flush the container to remove any excess fertilizer that remain. I wouldn't feed the plant again until the new growth returns to normal. A slow release fertilizer (osmocote?) is all right but it may not contain micronutrients; check the label.

The number of soap sprays required depends on the severity of the infestation and how thorough you are with each spray. Remember that all plant surfaces must be sprayed. I generally spray 3-4 times, just to be safe. It shouldn't be too difficult for a small plant like this.

a2008 likes this.
  7. a2008

a2008 Member

Slow release fertilizer which I have is Garden Pro one which it does have only nitrogen , potash and phosphorous. Is it enough for any house plant or should switch back to miracle gro?

I will do spraying more.

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

With a plant that small, I would recommend for the spider mites to take the plant to the sink and use your fingers and water on every leaf and stem, every three days, and just use the soap spray on the soil every seven days. And do that for three weeks. And if you have other plants, look carefully to see if they also have some mites, try to catch them early on those plants.

a2008 likes this.
  9. Junglekeeper

You'd be better off in the long term to use a more appropriate fertilizer. However there's no harm in using the slow release for the time being.

a2008 likes this.
  10. a2008

a2008 Member

I will do that thanks. Good Idea.

11. a2008

a2008 Member

I'm not good at plant stuff. How to choose more appropriate fertilizer? what factors should I consider to choose fertilizer for different plants?

12. Junglekeeper

I suggest doing research on the plant in question for information on its cultivation then select a fertilizer based on its needs. A general purpose, balanced fertilizer such as 20-20-20 is good for many plants. Some have specific requirements thus calling for a different NPK ratio. For example, citrus trees require higher amounts of N and K. Plants also require small amounts of trace elements to maintain health so look for a formulation that includes micronutrients.