Maple seed from named cultivars - sources?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaspian, Jul 31, 2009.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sam, I hope you find some of it useful :)

I find the directed breeding of Japanese maples to be an intiguing subject and one that I have not seen adequately covered in books or even discussed online that much. It would be interesting if those growers and breeders who know much more on the subject than I do would be willing to discuss it.

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maf ... I found it all to be very interesting .... food for a little thought there :)

3. CuriousCultivar

CuriousCultivar New Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.

4. CuriousCultivar

CuriousCultivar New Member

Great stuff about the insects. Maybe i could use the net to cover the canopy and yet not have the next reach down to the ground. That way the insects could get inside but i am keeping out any unwanted pollen floating around in the air. Pollen season is terrible around here.

I cant wait to hear what my uncle has to say as well. His thing is esoteric plants and flowers, but I am sure he knows plenty about this topic.

5. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Labreapits likes this.
  6. kazimea

kazimea Member

Hi, hoping to revive this thread once more to pick the brains of you japanese maple geeks!

I live on Vancouver Island - west coast of Canada - and bought a large property with quite a few JM cultivars. There is a lovely 8' tall vase-shaped tree with highly dissected leaves, a larger round 12' tall tree with light green dissected leaves, a tiny 3' tall dwarf with dissected red leaves, a weeping/sprawling one with green dissected leaves. And a Crimson King in the front yard.

I have stumbled into the same rabbit hole as you others and have been rescuing and tending the seedlings which mostly appear under the first tree I described. Most of them appear similar to the "mother" tree, but last year I saved two that have shown themselves to have the more "canadian flag" shape of leaf - not dissected.

My biggest question is, could they have cross-pollinated with the crimson king, which at 40' or so would make for a very different tree.

7. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

No, Norway maples and Japanese maples do not cross pollinate, from what I understand. The are in different Families.

AlainK and LoverOfMaples like this.