ICHANG PAPEDA bearing age?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by WYMG, Mar 26, 2020.

1. WYMG

WYMG New Member

How long does it take for them to reach flowering from seed? Also could they achieve so while in a large pot?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't have an answer for you. However you should be aware that its seed is monoembryonic and zygotic and thus will not grow true to type.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  3. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

Ichang papedas are a smaller natural growing size (when on their own roots, not grafted) than other citrus, so they will likely begin bearing sooner. However, on the other hand, Ichang papeda is a bit of a slower growing species. It will also of course depend very much on the growing conditions, climate, if the plant is being overwintered inside.

I would imagine they could start bearing when they are 75-90cm tall.

I don't know if they require a pollinator to bear fruit (like a few citrus species do).

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

5. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

That of course is true, but citrus trees with naturally more dwarfed growing habits, like kumquat, take somewhat less time.

Basically the more dwarfed it is (like if it is on rootstock, especially dwarfing rootstock) the sooner in its lifespan it will begin producing fruit.

Ichang papeda is one of the smallest growing citrus species, at least compared to all the normal varieties we are familiar with.