Snapped my pachira Aquatica - HELP

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MajaK, Mar 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MajaK

MajaK New Member

Hi everyone!
    I’m new to the forum and relatively new to plants. I recently bought a pachira aquatica plant, which I absolutely love! On transportation I accidentally snapped one of the branches and it was the only one growing out of that braided tree branch (not sure if my description makes sense, so I’ll post a photo).
    I just wanted to ask if you’ve got any suggestion as to what I need to do to help it grow back and if anyone has had similar experiences?
    I’ve also noticed that some of the leaves are rolling Inwards (put a photo up). Is that normal?
    The tree is over 5 feet with 5 braided branches. I’m planning to repot it, as the pot it came in is only 27cm. I was going to use a mix of regular potting soil, high peat compost and a little bit of orchid soil to help with draining. Is now a good time to repot considering that I’m trying to get one of the trunks to grow back some leaves?
    I’ve put it close to the window with only a couple of hours of direct sunlight and ensured there isn’t much of a draft coming in.
    I’ve also realised that the water in London is super hard and may cause issues in plants. Any suggestions on this?

sorry for the long post and would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Andrew Matheson

Andrew Matheson Member

Hi there,

I wouldn't be very concerned about the snapped branch. It will very likely regrow on it's own. These are tough plants, and we can do a lot to them. Since this is one of the braided ones its worth pointing out that its probably actually 4 or 5 separate plants braided into one to reduce the height of growth.

I'm pretty sure it will grow in basically whatever potting mix you use, again, they're quite tough plants. I would just be sure to make sure it's getting enough light. I have some that get a few hours of direct sun every day and they're fine. Sometimes when adjusting to different environments they'll drop a few leaves but this is nothing to concern yourself over, they'll come back.

3. MajaK

MajaK New Member

Thank you!

Andrew Matheson likes this.