I guess I should be worried?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all.

This is an Orange Dream that has something going in the lower trunk, branches and bark. About a week ago a pruned off the branch that looked the worst but it is definitely getting worse. The rest of the tree looks healthy but I have a feeling that it is just a matter of time. I have moved it away from my other maples in case whatever it is is "contagious".

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, did this one dry out at all last year? We have had this happen to our Osakazuki when the water system pipe blocked and it didn't get any water. The following season a few main stems looked like your Orange Dream. On the positive note, a few years on ours is now looking ok but still a bit out of shape due to pruning out the diseased stems. I would take out the darkened branches back to good wood asap. Definitely keep it away from your collection just in case. I dont know if you've seen Keith Beard's YouTube video on painting the whole tree with a fungicide paste. He states it is very effective. Might be worth a try.

3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Acerholic. I dont think it dried out last year. I hand water them all and I'm quite vigilant. The disease seems to be in the main trunk low down. You can see the patch where is looks like its turning black. If I were to cut it back to a stump would it grow back?

4. Luke’s Maples

I will have a look at Keith's videos. Thanks

5. Acerholic

Hi Luke, it might do but tbh if it's in the main trunk then the disease has taken full hold. I see it does have buds so if it were me I would take out the worst black branches and then leave it and wait and see. Definitely keep it away from your other maples. Unfortunately some die. I know you watch Amazing Maples and he has lost some lovely trees. His comment on one one video was 'heh sometimes trees die'.
    Orange Dream is fairly easy to buy and perhaps in a few weeks it might be wise to replace yours. Sorry I cant be more positive.

6. Luke’s Maples

Thanks. It will be a shame, but i have another so it's not the end of the world. I would love to know what it is though so I can be mindful of the others. Heh.. sometimes trees die!

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just coming to this, but a couple of points.

The tree appears to be planted way too deep. Where is the root flair? The lower branches seem to be coming almost from the below ground level; I can't see the graft. This is a recipe for these sorts of problems.

Maples do die, for certain. Charlie (amazing) is right and at any level of expertise we lose some. Part of the game!

Painting the entire trunk blue with copper paste is a terrible idea. It stops the tree from breathing, and the copper is likely to dry and form a barrier rather than penetrating the bark to combat disease. The whole idea with copper is to use it as a pulverization, with micro-droplets. These droplets are actually really small, small enough to penetrate into tiny fissures and damage that we can't see with the eye. Spraying every 2 weeks with pulverized copper solution can be an effective treatment against fungus or bacteria. Never drench the soil with copper, which will kill beneficial fungi (mycorrhizae) and further stress the tree.

Keith is a great guy, and has some good videos. However in this case, he washed the copper off! ;)

cheers, -E

8. Acerholic

Hi emery, thanks for updating re Keith washing the copper off. Experiments are just that experiments sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It is important for people to update watchers of YouTube videos.

9. Luke’s Maples

Hi Emery and thanks. This is one of the first trees I purchased. It was tiny and couple a couple of pounds. It was at that depth at the time so I just repotted at the same each time. Out of all of my trees it is probably my least favourite so I dont mind digging it up and experimenting, spraying, cutting and pruning etc. Its all good experience. The first thing I'll do is remove the top layer of soil and try and figure out where the root flair and graft are.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

10. emery

There were a large number of rooted cuttings released onto the market a few years ago, I wonder if this is one of those. The "big box" stores whacked them in pots filled with peat, often burying them pretty deep.

So you may have a joint problem of a cutting getting ready to fail -- as they are prone to do after 5 years or so -- and the depth. If you can't find the root flare, which may be less than obvious on a cutting, you probably want to expose it to where the roots begin.

Glad to help, always a pleasure. Wish I could guarantee success! ;)

11. Luke’s Maples

Thanks emery. I had a closer look earlier and I cant see a graft. I think you are spot on with your suggestions. I did buy it around 4 years ago. It was probably a year old at the time. I dug down a little to expose the roots but nothing obvious jumped out at me. It does seem to have a good, solid and substantial root system but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy.

Like other have said

12. Luke’s Maples

Didnt mean to press send just yet...

Like others have said, it's all part of the experience. It happens from time to time. I will be more careful when buying plants.

Thanks emery for your insight.

13. Acerholic

Hi Luke, after what Emery has just said, the last few years our local supermarket has stocked many Orange Dream in 'full' leaf in March. They look good so people buy them, but they have been forced in greenhouses to be in that state so early so root system is weak. They are cheap to buy but long term they dont survive. I think the lesson is not to be tempted in buying them. Trusted suppliers like Hippopotering etc is always best. I'm sure everyone on the UBC forum and Maple Society members would not buy maples from supermarket chains. But in our early days of growing maples we have all been there. Your order list from Hippopotering will be well grown and slowly and be of excellent quality.

14. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Acerholic. It's great to know they are reputable. I must say it has made me a little paranoid about some of my other trees. I have been checking them for graft unions and there are one or two that look to be without them. I guess time will tell.

Thanks.

15. emery

For sure Hippopottering is a great source with fine quality plants. And they stand behind them, so if there are problems you have someone to turn to.

I don't know about others but I'm not immune to the occasional impulse buy, I often regret it but I never seem to learn my lesson!

16. Luke’s Maples

Haha, it's nice to hear that. I can't say for sure I won't do the same. I just need to learn to accept that not all of them will live a long and healthy life.

17. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

emery you will not believe this but my latest impulse buy last week before everything shut down was a TAYLOR!!!! omg couldn't resist this one must have had a brain storm on that day. Now although it is now sold under a new name ijoshi !! i beleive this is the Taylor cultivar but re branded under a new name can this be possible ? cannot find any info on this one. Will see how it progress's over the year will give it a 50/50 chance of survival if it's the same cultivar we all know, what a nightmare it was to keep going. Must admit i spent ages sorting a decent one out of around 30 this had a very strong graft union and a super root flare so time will tell, added a pic what do you think?

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Hi Roebuk, can I just comment about Taylor, I've had a few and lost a few. My daughter and son in law have also had a few and lost a few. It is such a difficult variety to keep alive. I think it actually should be on the buyer beware section!!!!!

19. ROEBUK

Same here i have had two over the years and lost both , this just looked so healthy so i thought i would give it another go !! hopefully people should know which cultivars to keep away from there has certainly been plenty of discussions on the hard to keep going cultivars on numerous sites over the years. Taylor Marlo Bi hoo shaina all readily come to mind.

20. Acerholic

Bi-hoo, or the 'die back' maple it should be named. Good luck with one more try with Taylor.

21. ROEBUK

I call this one the "Black death tree" only ever had the one but it didn't take long for it to go.

22. Acerholic

That's a good name for it, lol

23. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Come on you guys, I just ordered Taylor this evening. I hope i have good luck with it. I guess it can be one that I baby and live in the greenhouse. I really appreciate the heads up.

24. Acerholic

Hi LoverOfMaples, hope you have good luck with Taylor, it does need babying though including a lot of protection from wind, so positioning is important. The reason why I've replaced a few over the years is because 'it's worth' all the effort. Such lovely delicate colours.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi Acerholic, thats a good enough reason to give it a few tries.