British Columbia: QE Park | Acacia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jason B, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. :)

I've been engaged in some historical research on Queen Elizabeth Park. On a visit to the City Archives, I found documentation that King George VI had planted an Acacia tree in the park during the 1939 Royal visit. No information was offered on the species, or its specific location.

I have asked a few park staff if it is marked by a plaque, as is the case for the Oak tree planted by the King's daughter, Princess Elizabeth, in 1951. None said they had ever seen one. I have been a frequent visitor of the park for several decades, and have not found one either.

Anyone?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome, Jason! I have sent notes to two people who might have some idea.
    I wonder if the tree was actually Robinia pseudoacacia or even Albizia julibrissen. You think Acacia was the actual genus name?
    I don't know if there are any Acacia trees that would survive in the Vancouver area, particularly in QE Park, the coldest area of the city.

Jason B likes this.
  4. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Thanks, Wendy. The documentation I found at the Archives was a local newspaper clipping. It offered nothing more than "Acacia."

There is a False Acacia in the southwest part of the park, in a grove along the southern half of Kersland Drive (across the park drive from the Centennial Rose Garden). A metal identification plate is fixed to the tree itself, but it doesn't say anything about the King. It may have been the tree the reporter had referred to.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I googled around to see if any photos came up fr archives of the royal visit to Little Mtn Queen Elizabeth Park and I can’t find any in my short search

However the Miss604 blog website mentions an oak tree planted earlier 1937 in the King’s honour at Brockton Point ... I have attach a screen shot of the blog Article

Attached Files:

6. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Thank you for having a look, Georgia Strait.

7. Georgia Strait

A further thought ... is there somewhere in QE Park a plaque mounted to commemorate the official visit and naming of the park in May 1939?

It would make sense that the acacia tree would be near that monument plaque.

ÉDIT - i see in old CBC NEWS - there were trees cut in the park in 2008 - see screen grab attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  8. Jason B

Jason B New Member

There is no plaque or other commemoration of the park's naming. That said, based on what I have read in City Archives documents, Little Mountain was declared parkland during the visit, but there was no mention of it being named at that time. I could not find a date for its naming.

The King was a 33° Freemason of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, so I called the Vancouver Masonic Centre and spoke with an historian there. He offered the centre's library had no information about the park at all. He answered during the call, i.e., without checking, so I assume he was familiar with the library's entire collection.

9. Georgia Strait

I see on Wikipedia it says the park dedicated 1939

Then transformed over many future years

Also - the royal guests also visited Lions Gate Bridge, Stanley Park, and City Hàll Vancouver ... and sailed on CPR to Victoria BC

Busy day or two by any standards.

I wonder if the TREE was planted at City Hall? (Given that it was a new show piece as well)

Queen Elizabeth Park, British Columbia - Wikipedia

10. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Thanks, all, for your efforts. Much appreciated!