Would any of you be so kind

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all, Luke here. Spring is coming an I'm so excited to see my maples leaf out. I have added quite a few to my collection over winter so especially looking forward to seeing how these are going to look.

I decided to create a list of my maples as I thought it would be quite interesting. I would like to share my list with you so you can have a look and share any thoughts you might have. Likes, dislikes, suggestions or even varieties that you have on your wanted list. I do hope that you will not find this a boring or irrelevant post/subject.

Thanks for reading.

Atropurpureum x 2
    Bloodgood
    Emperor 1
    Skeeters Broom
    Shindeshojo
    Beni Maiko x 2
    Burgundy Lace
    Shaina
    Beni Otake
    Suminigashi x 2
    Trompenburg
    Jerre Schwartz
    Enkan
    Purple Ghost
    Geisha Gone Wild
    Shirazz
    Okagami

Palmatum
    Going Green
    Osakazuki
    Sango Kaku
    Orange Dream x 2
    Mikawa Yatsubusa x 2
    Shigatatsu Sawa
    Bihoo x 2
    Katsura
    Koto No Ito
    Westonbirt Orange
    Little Princess
    Ukigumo x 3
    Butterfly x 3
    Koto Hime
    Shishigashira
    Ryusen
    Okushimo
    Seuin Kaku
    Mikazuki x 2
    Amber Ghost
    Shidiva Gold
    Omureyama
    Wakehurst Pink
    Ariadne
    Ichigyoji
    Manyo No Sato
    Aconitifolium

Dissectum Green x 2
    Dissectum Red
    Ornatum
    Orangeola x 2
    Emerald Lace
    Garnet
    Firecracker
    Seiryu x 3
    Irish Lace
    Flavescens

Aureum
    Jordan x 2
    Moonrise
    Autumn Moon

On order
    Hogyoku
    Oregon Sunset
    Mikawa Yatsubusa
    Villa Taranto
    Olsen's Frosted Strawberry

Wanted
    Pink Filigree
    Kasagi Yama
    Filigree
    Sister Ghost
    Mr Sun
    Toyama Nishiki
    Hana Matoi
    Goshiki Shidare
    Amagi Shigure
    Fairy Lights
    Japanese Princess
    Otto's Dissectum
    Dragon's Fire

Suggestions?

LoverOfMaples and Jaybee63 like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, first of all not boring at all. Really nice to see peoples collections as it gives ideas for others. I have a couple on my wanted list also, as I expect we all do, lol.
    Your Shidiva Gold is an interesting variety that I have been considering due to it's very pale green appearance. Is it a true golden leaf?
    Ichigyoji is one I haven't come across before, doesn't seem available in UK. But it might go on my wish list. Looks a lovely golden leaf in the Spring.
    Mr Sun, on your wish list is on my wish list and has been for some time, not easily available in the UK!!
    Your wish list will keep you busy hunting online to find this year. I would add Griseum to that list. The bark and Autumn colour is amazing. It's very late to leaf out though.
    We are also looking forward to seeing our Acers leaf out, it is a wonderful time. Katsura has already started.

3. Luke’s Maples

Hi Acerholic.

I only received the Shidiva Gold a few weeks ago so I'm waiting to see myself. The bark is a stunning bright green and next to Bihoo and Sango it looks incredible. I will post pictures of it when it has leaves. It it my understanding that it is a Witches Broom from Aoyagi? I'm hoping the leaves are are a bright green with yellow autumn colour.

Ichigyoji is supposed to be very similar to Osakazuki regarding shape, size and colour until autumn, when it turns yellow/orange rather than bright red. Autumn colour has been compared with Hogyoku.

I will add Griseum to my list!

Strangely enough my Katsura hasn't started yet, but Little Princess, Orange Dream, Jerry Shwartz, Ariadne and Aconitifolium have.

Thanks for the reply Acerholic.

Luke.

4. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

A very nice collection and there are almost all that I would like to have, as I am starting this year my collection only has 4 varieties, I hope to increase it, a question, Emperor Red is the same as Emperor 1?

5. Luke’s Maples

Thanks. I enjoy them very much. I am no expert but from what I understand, yes these are one and the same.

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Luke quite a collection you have there, the ones you are after on your list, the last four plus Mr sun you will struggle to find them in this country ? every thing else no problem have you tried Barthelemy's down in Dorset they have a good selection of trees , also Hippopottering have a superb selection plus both do mail order.

7. Acerholic

Looking at the last from Roebuk, totally agree that there are a lot that are not available in this country 'sadly'. Junkers is a possibility for Mr Sun. There is definitely an opening for a nursery stocking rare maples in the UK, but I'm not sure it would be financially viable. Do post it on this forum if you manage to get Mr Sun. I've recently seen Fairy hair that I was after on ebay at a ridiculous price. I didn't take the bait!!!

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Oregon Sunset is a real stunner. Barthelemys were grafting from a gorgeous specimen and wouldn’t sell it.
    As all maple lovers would do after seeing a must have addition, lots of research and phone calls and a 200 mile trip to pick up once sourced.

9. Jaybee63

Oregon Sunset is a real stunner. Barthelemys were grafting from a gorgeous specimen and wouldn’t sell it.
    As all maple lovers would do after seeing a must have addition, lots of research and phone calls and a 200 mile trip to pick up once sourced.

10. Jaybee63

I’d second Barthelemys. There catalogue won’t show everything they have available so it’s worth a call or visit.

dicky5ash likes this.
  11. ROEBUK

Pic of my Oregon sunset, keeps getting nicer every year especially when we have a good summer a fire red beautiful

Attached Files:

Jaybee63 and dicky5ash like this.
  12. ROEBUK

Bought a couple of Milligans from them last year was very impressed when you posted pics of yours a while back, just starting to bud break at this moment in time

Attached Files:

Jaybee63 likes this.
  13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Great collection you have... whilst very personal and the eye is in the beholder here’s a few of my favourites

Oridono Nishiki, Beni schichihenge, Tsuma Gali, Beni hagoromo,
    Baldsmith, Shigure Bato, Asahi Zuru, J. Vitifolium, J.Meigetsu

Attached Files:

14. Luke’s Maples

Thanks everyone for getting involved. I love that Oregon Sunset. Its stunning. Roebuk I do wish you'd post another video of the rest of your garden. You have some beautiful trees. It has definitely inspired me.

Acerholic I will try Karan Junker. I did have a few from her over the winter which I am happy with. Although they were not cheap.

I will also get in touch with Barthelemys and Hippopottering and see if they have anything interesting. I may even have a drive over there if I can convince the wife that it's only to "have a look around"

LoverOfMaples and Jaybee63 like this.
  15. Jaybee63

It’s a good, robust grower naturally forming a nice shape. I’ve got 2 and never had any die back issues.

16. Luke’s Maples

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm going to a place called Acers Direct. They have 2 sites in Gloucestershire about 10 miles apart. Ill let you know what it's like. I have ordered from them before and have been pleasantly surprised with the price and quality of their plants. I'm quite excited actually

Jaybee63 likes this.
  17. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Ichigyoji Seems to be in stock at the acerdirect site Luck mentions, I’d not heard of it

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  18. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

19. Luke’s Maples

Hi, I actually just bought another one a couple of days ago as M @ROEBUK bought my last one. I got really lucky this time and the owner found me a beautifully sized and shaped tree. In was in a 3 ltr pot so I paid £24.95 for it and it looks more like a 6-7 year old 7.5 ltr tree. It is very similar to Hogyoku, but bright yellow in Autumn. I wouldn’t be without one!

20. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have heard 'Mr. Sun' is a weak plant, I was warned off of it. YMMV of course.

Not sure anyone is selling 'Pink Filigree' anymore? It is a wonderful plant but doesn't produce a lot of good scion wood, very slow growing.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  21. Luke’s Maples

Hi Emery, I think Hippo may be. Though I haven’t checked before sending this. If it’s not on their list it’s worth contacting them as they often have some that are not advertised. Lorraine described it to me as ‘always having a trick up her sleeve’. That’s how I got Hana Matoi and Pink Ballerina ;-)

22. Luke’s Maples

And while your online Emery can I ask you an unrelated question. I understand there are a few cultivars that will grow from cuttings. I have a friend with a huge Seiryu ;-)

23. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Procrastinating. I've gotta be out planting again, first on the list is a nice Holm Oak Quercus ilex, before I get to the maples.

I think (but am not sure) Seiryu is one of those that can be grown from cuttings. Generally, if Van Son & Koot sell it, it can be grown from cuttings. But of course that's not to say everyone can do it, (they have a very expensive process), nor that these cutting grown plants wont weaken and die after a few years.

I think your best bet is to do some air layers on your friends tree. Cheers, -E

AlainK and Luke’s Maples like this.
  24. Acerholic

I hope not as mine is a new addition last year and been wanting it for quite a while. My fingers and everything else is now crossed Lol.

25. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Emery. I will approach him and ask if he has a problem with me doing that. Then, I’ll have to learn how to air layer lol