Identification: Charles Grimaldi Brugmansia - are these leaf problems mouse damage?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by GlennR, Mar 2, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR New Member

I am new to this forum business, so hope that this is where I can ask advice. I'm overwintering a Charles Grimaldi brugmansia. All winter it has been growing well. Then last week one branch went limp and now the leaves on the other branch are getting limp. The brug has been in my basement garage with a light. Now, I did all of a sudden see a hole in the soil and ended up catching a mouse on the soil surface! We have lived here for 9 years and this had been the first mouse. I would add a photo of the brug, but haven't figured out how to do that yet. Any suggestions?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Yes we'd love to see some photos. Leaf damage in Brugmansia from mammals would be very unlikely. For some reason they innately know that the leaves are poisonous and leave them alone. Even if they didn't know, ingestion would likely kill a mouse, definitely would not be a repeat experience even if it survived. I imagine burrowing under the soil could harm the plant though. Peanut butter in no-kill traps works excellent to catch mice in a garage. :)

4. GlennR

GlennR New Member

Thanks for the input. Now I'm going to try to attach a photo.
    I have an android phone. I copied the directions on attaching photos. The first step says to click the "post new thread" button. I can't find this button to begin with. Can you help?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2020
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Ah, in that case, your instructions are at Attach photos and files from Mobile Device.
    You are replying to a thread, so ignore the "post new thread" part. Start right at Step 1.
    And thanks for the comment on what was confusing. I will modify that.

6. GlennR

GlennR New Member

I am going to try this on my pc.
    brugmansia.jpg

7. GlennR

GlennR New Member

I sent a photo from my home PC. I believe that I found the answer to my problem. I think that that mouse tunneled a hole through the soil so that the water just ran through. I did notice that water was running into the garage floor after watering. I clipped off the severely wilted leaves and started to water very slowly. The other leaves have gotten their form back. Now I just hope that new branches sprout.