Another BLE identification.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by LPN, Nov 21, 2019.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

This one planted in a public park and clearly mislabeled as Garry Oak.
    Thanks in advance for any help identifying this one. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but what do you mean by BLE? I checked on the Net but nothing what I could find seems to apply here BLE - Wikipedia

LPN likes this.
  3. LPN

BLE - Broad leaf evergreen.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Quercus acutissima, sawtooth oak.

5. LPN

So as a deciduous tree, this must hold it's leaves a long time in such good form.
    The third week into November. Nearly all deciduous trees have either lost their leaves, or are in an advanced state of doing so. This one looks mid season form. Humm?
    Cheers, Barrie.

6. wcutler

Hmm. The Vancouver Trees app says the leaves should turn brown and papery in October. I either have the wrong ID or this youngster just isn't ready for winter yet. I can check tomorrow what the leaves are doing on a local sawtooth oak.

7. Botanykerwin_0529

Botanykerwin_0529 Member

I would say it was the most preferable to plant native Garry Oak, but wrong ID and labelling seem to have happened.

Right, Q. acutissima is told to be deciduous, we got to consider there are lots of "semi-deciduous" or "half evergreen" kinds of oaks.
    The alien, obviously most frequently planted oak belongs to section Cerris with several half evergreen species, depending on native range and climate.
    Watching this individual's leaves, these look tough and rigid to me as with lots of evergreen oaks, hence i am not the least surprised the young tree is not in winter dormancy.
    As the 2nd photo reveals, the wether should have been rather mild in this autum, the lawn is fresh green as if having grown till lately.
    The young oak has been planted recently, in need to grow fresh roots immediately, all together sound reasons and conditions to retain leaves and strengthen the tree.

Erwin

8. Botanykerwin_0529

Botanykerwin_0529 Member

Just try to alert @Michael F who knows better than me concerning trees in general.
    Had a closer look at photos here and elsewhere: I got to doubt it was Q. acutissima, leaf teeth got no bristly proceedings, tomentum of young shoots is pretty white, not "yellowish gray".
    Too many kinds of oaks for me, i hardly ever will have time to dig deeper into!

Best regards, Erwin

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's Quercus ilex.

LPN and Sundrop like this.
  10. Botanykerwin_0529

Botanykerwin_0529 Member

Hmm, surely thought about Q. ilex, yet leaves looked quite large and relatively long for this species. On the other hand this seems to be an oak with high variability, so why not, leaves look like evergreen, sclerophyllic. You might have caught the bird so far.

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Apart from it absolutely being a holly oak in the first picture look at the second one for relative leaf size and general foliage aspect - the stakes will be less than 3 in. in thickness.

I hope that is not a liberally amended planting hole we are seeing in these shots.

12. wcutler

Thanks for posting this, @LPN. I have never seen or noticed the spiny marginal teeth that Holm oak's juvenile shoots are supposed to have.

13. Botanykerwin_0529

Botanykerwin_0529 Member

Surely had not expected anyone wished to plant Holm Oak in BC, but what may i know about?

14. wcutler

It's included in the Vancouver Trees App | UBC Botanical Garden, noting that "at least one California nursery has in the past shipped smaller containerized Q. ilex to nurseries in the Vancouver area."