My indoor watermelon!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Titus, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

It's doing a nice job of growing the vines and flowering and then I hand pollinate the flowers. The melons don't seem to be growing though? One grew a bit but then it turned black and fell off. What do you think could be the problem? I'm also watering them everyday pretty much . I'm giving it liquid cow manure from a dairy barn that separates the solids out of the manure.

Attached Files:

2. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

It's saying, "Frankly, I'd rather be in Mississippi." It is a long season, high sunshine plant whether you want it to be or not.

Margot likes this.
  3. Titus

Titus New Member

There r many videos like that online. The ones I have are Black tail mountain watermelon. Many of these videos people are eating watermelon anywhere from 38 days to 45. I should be eating watermelon already !

4. Titus

Titus New Member

Not to mention I have way more then 96 watt in that closet.

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Quite often the problem, why water melon fruits are not developing, is poor pollination quality. In case of hand pollination, there may be several reasons: flower is pollinated too early or too late, poor pollen quality (not mature enough male flower, or too old pollen), environment too hot, too cold, too wet, etc. It is better to use pollen from another plant, not from the same plant. Pollinating must be done gently, too rough rubbing may damage the flower.
    I think that watering each day may be too often. Too much nitrogen (liquid manure) won't do good also.

Michigander and Sundrop like this.
  6. Titus

Titus New Member

Would you have any idea why the leaves are getting brown spots on them and then drying up .

Attached Files:

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The leaves appear to be showing the affects of Watemelon Mosaic Virus, or another similar virus, of which there are many that affect cucurbits.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Can this virus spread to my lime tree, mouse melon, grape vine and gogi berries ? I have all those in the same grow room !

9. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I have not seen this kind of disease/damage on my watermelons, but I do not grow these hydroponically and there are not so many watermelon growers in my country, so specific diseases have trouble with spreading here. I am littlebit doubtful if this is a WMV, because you are also not living in the commertial watermelon growing area, where you could easily find a source and mean for infection, and the season is also not so favourable for natural spreading of that virus (too cold outside for aphids). For getting the virus your plants have to pick it up from somewhere (actually aphids usually pick it up for you). Of course, viruses can spread with seeds also, but then, I think, these symptoms would appear sooner.
    My first thoughts when looking your photos were about if the roots are ok? I suspect root damage and chlorosis/necrosis related with it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. Titus

Titus New Member

It really seems like it's a salt burn symptom, like it says in the photo I attached. I use liquid manure that has been separated from the solids.

Attached Files:

11. vitog

The mouse melon is the only cucurbit in that list and could be infected through an insect vector. If it develops similar symptoms, that would clearly identify the cause of the problem as a virus. I see that Cucumber Green Mottle Mosaic Virus has been identified in Alberta greenhouses. If any of your plants came from an Alberta greenhouse, that could be a source.

12. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Do you really have commertial watermelon plants supply in Alberta even totally out of season? These plants must had to be planted from seed somewhere around September.
    I suppose that sowing at home was the only option that season.

13. vitog

If the source is an Alberta greenhouse, it will be associated with cucumbers, not melons.

14. Titus

Titus New Member

The mouse melon and the Blacktail melon were both started from seed .

15. vitog

I think that virus disease is a long shot; but it is not unusual for seeds to be contaminated with dormant viruses, especially if the seed is not sourced from a reputable supplier.