Notifications?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Sundrop, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Are the participants notified when the thread is modified/deleted by moderator?

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    My experience is - yes. It might be in a private direct conversation which I think is emailed to you then you look at the UBC website to reply etc .... upper right hand corner where thee is a little bell icon etc.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It depends on your Alert Preferences. You can check yours and set them by clicking on the person icon at the upper right (on the green banner, to the left of the envelop) and selecting Alert Preferences. Moderators get an option to notify the poster or thread followers, depending on what is being done, and to leave a redirect for moves for a specified length of time.

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Probably yes, I got notifications even if my message was moved to another section.

5. wcutler

Please note my posting (#3), which overlapped with Sulev's latest posting here. You have options. I can't remember what is the default - I have notify set for everything.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  6. Georgia Strait

And I have set up (initiated) a test private conversation w Sundrop

7. Sundrop

I can't see any option there pertinent to my question.
    Does it mean that it is up to moderator?

8. Georgia Strait

My experience is yes the Moderator tries to keep things organized

However fr what I understand - the mod action might be informed (prompted) initially by a « report » which is linked in lower area of a post (like / edit / etc)

I have reported myself to blend two posts Or delete one that I duplicated in error .

Édit - i think your Sundrop question might be diff than what I describe ... are you asking if it’s the Mod choice to notify you (the poster ) ?

9. Sundrop

Thank you Georgia for your thoughts, however my original question is of general nature, I expected an answer from the moderators on this forum.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Did anyone receive notifications when I moved this to Forum Feedback? I suspect not, the only option available to me is to notify the thread author.

11. Sundrop

I didn't get any notification. If I didn't look at the new posts listing I would not have any idea what has happened. Thank you Daniel for this, good to know how it works (or rather doesn't work!).

12. Sundrop

One more question, just to know for sure: so it is up to you if the thread author is notified or not?

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is in a check box, turned on by default. I can't think of when I've ever turned it off.

14. Sundrop

Thanks.

15. wcutler

I got an alert on the screen (upper right, the bell icon) that said "Your post in the thread An ID question was moved to Notifications?". I was not the thread author, and the wording implies to me that anyone whose post was included in the move would have (or could have) got that alert.

I'm sorry, you're right, except for replies, quotes or mentions ("mention" would be using @ Sundrop - without the space after the @ sign).
    Daniel did answer the "deleted" question. I always make a comment in the box provided, and same if I move a posting or thread.

For moderator-modified posts (were you asking about this?), I have seen a notice at the bottom right that says something like Last edited by a moderator 5 minutes ago. I'm pretty sure nothing gets sent out about that. And there is no box where we get to say what we did (there was in the previous system we used). If I do more than fix a spelling mistake, I add an indication [Edited: …] in the text to say what I did. Mostly that is for my own postings, but I remember doing that in a very few other postings where I split up a posting into two postings, or put an edit at the start of the first posting in a thread that I thought was something important to have read first. I don't remember now where that was, but I indicated that it was my edit, and it had to do with a re-organized thread where the first posting in the new split-off thread did not define the subject. Maybe that was a Resource file.

16. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I also got an alert (stored under the Bell button on the upper right corner).
    Though, no email notification.

17. Sundrop

Thanks everyone for your help to solve this question. I didn't get email notification I was looking for, but notification was in my alerts (I just don't look there usually). It looks though it was not only me who was confused ;-). Good now we all know how it works.