fall foliage city and country, planted and wild

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Usually 'Tai-haku' is a midseason variety flowering second half of April for instance.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes. I can't help it. :)
    2016 must have been an early year, and this is an early neighbourhood. The photo was from March 16; the next posting said they were finished blooming at this location on April 9. These are well-known trees, and they do some years behave appropriately; well, I'd say second week of April at this location. The blossom photo was originally posted at Kitsilano.

3. wcutler

Here is another nice location for Liquidambar styraciflua; @Georgia Strait posted some at a shopping mall in posting #4. These are at Ron McLean Park in Burnaby.
    LiquidambarStyraciflua_RonMcLeanPark_Cutler_20191019_181430.jpg LiquidambarStyraciflua_RonMcLeanPark_Cutler_20191019_181452.jpg

I'll alternate colours here, a bit curiously since yellow isn't the most usual colour for Quercus rubra. This is at Seaforth Peace Park across from the armory in Kitsilano.
    Quercus-rubra_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_134531.jpg Quercus-rubra_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_134103.jpg Quercus-rubra_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_134804.jpg

At the same park, there are two Parrotia persica.
    Parrotia-persica_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_134305.jpg Parrotia-persica_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_134449.jpg Parrotia-persica_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_135215.jpg
    and a long row of Parrotia persica outside the sidewalk. I don't remember if I photographed the cultivar name for some of these boulevard trees - I don't have access to most of my photos right now. I wouldn't have got the name from this individual in any case. But these boulevard trees would seem to be a different cultivar from the ones in the park.
    Parrotia-persica_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_134149.jpg Parrotia-persica_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_134220.jpg

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    QUESTION - thé Breda Giant fruit is apparently edible ... safe for human consumption - has anyone first hand taste knowledge ?

Of course in many gardens, the bears and raccoons (crows too?) would likely be the taste experts so one has to remove fruit before the fed bear becomes a dead habituated bear.

5. Georgia Strait

A quick photo of a wild creek with fall leaves nr the salt tide line nr Vancouver BC - in some fall seasons there are spawning salmon adding to the colour in this creek but sadly nobody swimming upstream yesterday

I don’t know the small red shrub overhanging the creek but maybe a willow? But I’d think of willow as yellow ... maybe a small old wild cherry ?

The green is a native red cedar and the yellow leaves floating in the creek are the typical big leaf maple (acer macrophyllum)

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

I took a fruit from a Mespilus street tree planting one year (no cultivar name given on the city's list), put it in the freezer for a while and eventually shared a wee taste with friends. Are you asking if Mespilus fruits in general are edible, or is there some reason you mistrust the cultivar?

7. Georgia Strait

Just curious what it tastes like ... is it soft like a kiwi or crisp like an apple ... etc

Sweet like a peach or banana
    Or acidic like a lemon

Etc

8. Georgia Strait

While this is not specifically fall foliage (ie the tree is this colour in summer) ... it caught my eye because it had two different leaf colours on what appears to be one tree trunk

It’s a tree at a public building and I estimate it is somewhere around 40 or 50 yr old at the most (based on age of building)

The height of tree is maybe 15 feet and the spread slightly smaller

Maybe the two colours of leaves are because someone grafted a branch - or do they cultivate Japanese maples on diff root stock (like ornamental cherries etc) and this is old root stock that sprouted and is now entwined in the trunk (which is approx 1 feet diam)

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

Well, not much taste to that one, maybe apricot-like.

10. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Breda Giant once bletted tastes like apple sauce - no lie - but when dealing with medlar it is the only way you want to eat the fruit. I also made a jam a few years back that was very tasty and tasted more like a spiced apple sauce.

Bletting is a process of softening that certain fleshy fruits undergo, beyond ripening. There are some fruits that are either sweeter after some bletting, such as sea buckthorn, or for which most varieties can be eaten raw only after bletting, such as medlars, persimmons, quince, service tree fruit, and wild service tree fruit ("chequers").

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Georgia Strait and wcutler like this.
  11. Georgia Strait

Posted on Oct 12/19 — now here is update below

I returned to view the same trees ... and yes they do have prickly fruit like the outside of a chestnut ... reminds me of a teasel too.

Here is a photo - the leaves are approx 3” across and the prickly seed is approx 2 inch long

Attached Files:

12. Georgia Strait

This large very old tree ( I know at least 50 yr) nr Vancouver BC is always dependably yellow foliage in autumn

I estimate the tree is 60 feet tall and 40 wide and sadly has a mass of ivy gripped to its trunk

I did not observe any fruit or shells in paved parking below the tree - but i think I have seen spiked shells on ground in the last yrs - maybe the crows already harvested

I estimate that each frond of leaves is approx 12 inches long and each single leaf is perhaps 1 inch wide and 3 inch long.

What is this tree? (Species)

Attached Files:

13. Ron B

Looks like Juglans nigra.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  14. wcutler

This looks like black walnut. Each "frond of leaves" is actually one leaf, and the singles are leaflets.

15. wcutler

I hadn't seen Ron's reply until I posted mine. We've given the same ID.

16. Georgia Strait

Thank you both posters - for ID & clarifying leaf terminology

17. Georgia Strait

Here is an old thread about Black Walnut - i would not be surprised given this tree location and local settler history that it was planted by pioneers fr back east

Thé Cdn Encyclopedia website says there are 2 walnut native to back east however have been moved west by settlers. I know an old farm tree that produces an edible walnut in BC Okanagan nr Penticton BC

British Columbia: - Does Vancouver BC have a good climate for walnut trees?

18. Georgia Strait

Yesterday morning nr Vancouver BC

Blue skies plus typical native conifers

Aspen on left

An old beautiful Japanese maple - the very common name that’s red or orange foliage. Hère is a detail photo of foliage (red leaf) compared to vine maple size of leaf - below

Then Eskimo Sunset sycamore maple - i note a thread about it ... and debate about Esk name - here in this photo, the very knowledgeable gardener calls it Eskimo (yes I am sure we all know this is a name not used in Canada today however it is seemingly the Cdn commercial nursery maple name back in the day)

This particular Eskimo Sunset in photo is just like all the photos shown on other thread — from pink green to this autumn foliage. This specimen has morning sun and afternoon shade. It is very pretty throughout the 4 seasons. Gardener says it takes a bit of effort to get it established
    Acer pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' a.k.a. 'Eskimo Sunset'

Attached Files:

19. Georgia Strait

in the 2 photos above -

i asked the gardener the name of the red/purple Japanese maple - I would say this one is more red than burgundy
    Acer palmatum Atropurpureum

20. Georgia Strait

Fall foliage Nov 4th - compared to same tree w blossoms late April

Attached Files:

21. wcutler

Nice montage! Looks like 'Shirotae' cherry.

22. Ron B

The name of the maple was clearly established to be 'Esk Sunset' at the thread linked to 4 posts back - mistakes being repeated by a number of commercial sources do not demonstrate correctness. Another example with an inappropriate far northern association is 'Ukon' being listed by nurseries with the common name "Alaskan yellow cherry". I was seeing this years ago and am not certain now but I think some may even have been using the misspelling "Yukon" in combination with the inapt common name.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  23. Georgia Strait

It’s in a mall parking lot (where else!) and the trunk is very sturdy, straight up then the decorative branches kind of « palm tree « fr the trunk

That said - who knows its exact age - and - How it’s been « pruned » with gas powered machinery by possible non experts

Is it a graft?

PS - the collage photo is a tool in google photo on my phone.

ÉDIT CORRECTION - thé pic In lower right corner is an apple - the others are for sure the cherry.

24. wcutler

Thanks. I'm glad you added that.

They are almost all grafts. The pole-like trunk is characteristic. On older trees, the rootstock is usually mallard cherry [edited: I'm leaving what I wrote, because it makes Ron B's comment make sense, and because I think it's so funny that I can hardly type this, but the name is "mazzard cherry"], Prunus avium.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  25. Ron B

A favorite of ducks?