Tree of the Year 2019.

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by togata57, Oct 22, 2019.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, awesome!

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

But note that the Daily Fail (the worst of Britain's gutter press) is not a credible news source. Full of lies, fascist propaganda and errors.

Named as Tree of the Year - yes.
    1000 years old - no, very unlikely.
    Mentioned in Domesday Book - no.

4. togata57

Please see second link in original post.

It is to be hoped, Michael, that you feel less rancor towards the Woodland Trust---which seems to be a respectable and trustworthy institution.
    Perhaps you might clarify how this article qualifies as fascist propaganda.
    Further, please clue us in on why you say 'yes' to Tree of the Year---but 'no' to the Domesday Book reference, which appears on the sponsoring organization's own website (see link below, paragraph 1):
    England's Tree Of The Year 2019 Shortlist - Woodland Trust

It is my belief that UBC members are both fully capable of reading more than one news source and are possessed of the intelligence to distinguish hyperbole from truth.

To me, the precise age of the tree is less important than its ineffable beauty and majesty, its existence, the fact that we live on the same planet at the same time as this amazing, ancient organism. I find the thought humbling and uplifting.

Sorry that you do not.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Unrelated to your disagreement here, but I want to mention that I got to the ads after the Allerton Oak and thought that was the end of the page content, didn't read any further the first time I went to the page. There are several more photos on the page of other exceptional trees - you can read past the ads, or click the +13 at the bottom right of any of the photos to see a slide show.

6. togata57

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The Woodland Trust page states, much more accurately, "Allerton [the place, not the tree!] is mentioned in William the Conqueror’s Domesday book of 1086, and it’s possible that the oak was already growing by then" (my emphasis). That's a very far cry from stating that the tree itself is mentioned in the book!

No, obviously this individual DM article is not fascist in itself, but linking to the DM provides them with footfall to their website, which as a whole, extensively promotes racism and fascism. Adding footfall to their website increases their ranking in google searches more generally, thereby further pushing their extremist agenda.

8. togata57

It is my belief that UBC members are both fully capable of reading more than one news source and are possessed of the intelligence to distinguish hyperbole from truth.

As for 'footfall'---that sound you hear is mine, as I leave this wholly unintended and unsolicited wrangle.

Readers, members: I exhort you to always read as much as you can, from as many differing and varied sources as you can, and draw your own conclusions. About everything.

The Daily Mail contains a lot of dross, certainly. It also is quite often first to report news stories from my own city (yes, central Ohio USA), long before local news media do so.

Grains of truth are everywhere---just takes awhile to sift 'em.

Peace out.