fall foliage city and country, planted and wild

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    reading the recent post here about Persian Walnut (City of Vancouver tree list including Katsura) caused me to look online to see where one might view a mature Katsura in the city British Columbia: - Persian Walnut Tree for Shade and Free Nuts

===========

this list of fall foliage viewing destinations came up
    These are the most breathtaking spots to see fall foliage in Vancouver

and this one with a video in South Burnaby
    VIDEO: One fall foliage spot in Metro Vancouver you need to see

Katsura is on the list at Brightwood Place nr Fraserview Golf Course
    Vancouver's 10 top street trees.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Good idea to get us out looking at trees, even in the city. I'm pretty sure in the last one that the trees number 2, the magnolias, were removed for the street restructuring.

3. Georgia Strait

There are some good indications of roadside and mtn pass colours that one can check on the official DriveBC highway webcams too!

4. Georgia Strait

Some of the best are in unexpected place - a little bright color in our routine day

Hère are mall trees nr coastal Vancouver BC yesterday evening ... not sure their species

I estimate these trees are 15 yrs old and maybe 25 feet tall

Salty snow piled on their feet in winter ... no irrigation summer and some wonky « pruning » either by a paid person in a truck or an errant driver.

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Liquidambar styraciflua. A southern origin species tending to retain foliage as late as December in some forms, prone to breakage under snow if it comes while the trees are still in leaf. Also generates quantities of spiky seed clusters unless a planting consists of a comparatively fruitless version.

6. Georgia Strait

Thank you for ID - I have seen these trees other time of yr and they have nice shape and I’ve never noticed any disease on the leaves

Nor have I ever noticed any prickly fruit - it’s a well- used parking lot so the landscape arch obviously made sure the correct type was specified and planted

The roots seem well- behaved - no broken uneven pavement at all. I looked.

Yes it is in the city of Vanc official tree list (sweetgum)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. Georgia Strait

More fall foliage from yesterday Thanksgiving Saturday at the coast nr Vanc BC

Plant ID please !
    There is a maple here called Canadian Sunset - I wonder if that’s what the orange tree is.

Thé orange leaves are one parking lot in full all-day sun and no irrigation

Thé Red leaves are a vine growing enthusiastically at another parking lot - some shade but mostly sun. The rhodos nearby do NOT look happy.

Gray asphalt makes a nice colorwheel counterpoint to fall foliage.

Attached Files:

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Parthenocissus and Acer platanoides

9. Georgia Strait

thank you for your ID again.

I forgot to say above that the maples are approx 25 feet tall and maybe 12 feet spread at widest - and no roots in pavement - and are approx 15 yr old. No disease evident. The individual leaf is no bigger than the palm of a human hand.

this is interesting about the Norway Maple (platanoides) on wiki - planted as street tree as far north as Anchorage AK - how to tell the diff between sugar maple - and - when it was intro'd to the Pac NW circa 1870 AND as sensitive as we are in the Pac NW to invasives - this is apparently considered invasive in some of the New England states back east. Acer platanoides - Wikipedia

re: the red leaf vine
    normally of course it is green leaves (deciduous?)

AND - yes, there were some with small purple fruit in bunches (like Oregon Grape (mahonia))

this vine is old (30 yrs?) and covers a chain link fence that is approx 4 feet tall - as well as the other nearby shrubs - probably some Nootka or Rugosa rose with hips right now --- and the aforementioned sad rhodos (hot sun, no water, pruned, wrong place from day one, in a retaining wall with no tree cover like they enjoy for example in Manning Park BC (the native rhodos))

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  10. wcutler

Why should the maples folks have all the fun! There is more to autumn colour than just what they post in their forum. I'm inviting anyone in the Pac NW to reply with some non-maple colours that have caught your eye. Thanks, @Georgia Strait for starting this. I'll post some non-maples from a walk this afternoon in the Kensington-Cedar Cottage neighbourhood of Vancouver.

The Euonymus alatus was the first to catch my eye. Across the street from that is a Tilia x euchlora.
    Euonymus-alatus_4248Windsor26th_Cutler_20191013_110606.jpg Euonymus-alatus_4248Windsor26th_Cutler_220191013_110622.jpg TiliaXeuchlora_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_110956.jpg TiliaXeuchlora_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_155954.jpg

This Ginkgo biloba makes up in brightness what it lacks in size.
    Ginkgo-biloba_E28th_Cutler_20191013_143107.jpg Ginkgo-biloba_E28th_Cutler_20191013_143118.jpg

The range of colours is very attractive on the Cercidiphyllum japonicum, Katsura tree. These are very fragrant now.
    Cercidiphyllum-japonicum_700CountryLane_Cutler_20191013_154135.jpg

My friend's Cotinus coggygria has attractive leaves, even if not that showy.
    Cotinus-coggygriaWindsorRingwood_Cutler_20191013_160638.jpg

OK, this Passiflora patch is not an example of fall colour, but it's doing very well.
    Passiflora_LanewayE28th_Cutler_20191013_143439.jpg

I was in the car, driving; I think this is Quercus palustris, pin oak, just across the street from the edge of my West End neighbourhood, at Burrard and Pacific. it's the tree on the right side foreground.
    Quercus-palustris_BurrardPacific_Cutler_20191013_162915.jpg

11. wcutler

Ash trees are very showy now, but the colour doesn't last all that long - in warmer neighbourhoods, some of them are already looking quite bare.
    Here is Fraxinus americana Autumn Applause TM.
    FraxinusAmericanaAutumnApplause_4200blkWindsor26th_Cutler_20191013_110747.jpg FraxinusAmericanaAutumnApplause_4200blkWindsor26th_Cutler_20191013_110824.jpg

@Laura Blumenthal, my cherry scout friend who lives around here, was very taken with this block of Fraxinus angustifolia, noting how varied the colours are tree-to-tree and on the same tree. The very yellow tree is a honey locust.
    Fraxinus-angustifolia_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_160018.jpg Fraxinus-angustifolia_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_155813.jpg Fraxinus-angustifolia_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_155903.jpg Fraxinus-angustifolia_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_160106.jpg Fraxinus-angustifolia_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_160225.jpg Fraxinus-angustifolia_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_160237.jpg

Here is the honey locust, Gleditsia triacanthos.
    Gleditsia-triacanthos_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_160046.jpg Gleditsia-triacanthos_Windsor29th_Cutler_20191013_160056.jpg

I posted some maple photos at Anybody seeing any early colour change?

12. Georgia Strait

Wow - what a Thanksgiving Day to view all the Vanc BC colour

I like that the Ginkgo tree in photo you posted above matches architectural scale of the expensive Vancouver in-fill lane way house in background ;)

(Thé one w red roof ;)

13. wcutler

Yes, tiny houses like that are all anyone can afford now in Vancouver.

14. Georgia Strait

Some foliage - and flowers

winter pansy display at a nursery nr Vancouver BC

Other photos - Thé coleus won’t last the winter outside nr Vancouver BC however for shade and minimal irrigation in summer are still providing some fall colour - planted against a Blushing Bride hydrangea that truly starts out creamy white and then morphs to pale pink with lime green in it ... now in autumn is a deep pink to burgundy — no chemical treatment added to basic top soil to make this colour change happen (like people used to do to make pink or sky blue hydrangea effect)

Thé blushing bride hydrangea produces blooms over several summer months ... then is trimmed back to maybe 2 feet in Feb and comes back to approx 4x4 feet for summer with lots of flowers. I would plant it again.

Attached Files:

15. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

I didn't know that hydrangea is trimmed in February. Maybe this is a reason mine doesn't like trimming?

16. Nadia White Rock

Yes, Euonymus alatus has a very special color! I can see this plant from my window and every fall cannot believe how bright and special it is.

17. Georgia Strait

yes - this "blushing bride" was promoted when it first came on the consumer market a few yrs ago in Vancouver BC area as 'blooms all season" (to that effect) - BECAUSE it blooms on "old" and "new" wood (LINK BELOW - no I don't work for the company; just a consumer here)

I am saying this is as a non-plant botany horticulture person - just what I have learned thru trial and some error - but "old wood" means the new growth that happened this past 2019 spring summer and in 2020 spring summer, it is considered old wood. So the old time hydrangeas that everyone had in their gardens decades ago on the BC Coast - those bloomed on last summers growth (ie the old wood that was new growth of 1960 bloomed in 1961 July)

so - if you have inherited a garden and it has old hydrangea - that is very likely diff pruning than my "February" comment above.. PLUS your lack of bloom may possibly be attributed to some other aspects of care such as placement and irrigation and nearby shrubs competing with it.

at this point, except if sentimental (like a cutting from granny's garden or something like that) I would NOT bother with old hydrangeas any longer in my small city lot garden. - I chose this hydrangea because I just want a certain tight color scheme (white to pink to light burgundy plus lime), a long season of color, and simplicity of care and some for casual flower arrangements - and as for February comment - above - that's when the garden guy comes and does the big spring clean with power tools (I have to hide for a day! but we've learned to appreciate each other now!)

I am not 100 percent clear on who holds the patent on Blushing Bride however several prominent growers have license to grow and sell it at wholesale. I think there were some other colors in the promotional family. If i recall correctly - it was called "Endless Summer" Endless Summer Collection, Hardy Reblooming Hydrangeas

EDIT - here is the interesting Minnesota history of the Endless Summer (and note also that Blushing Bride can end up a blue color (ironically) depending on soil pH) About Endless Summer Hydrangeas - Blooming Hydrangea Bushes Since 2004

please - experts needed re: my armchair explanation of old and new wood in hydrangeas. I think clematis would be a similar possible reason for bloom or lack thereof - the "pruning A and "pruning B" etc (I never prune clematis because I like the rustic look)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  18. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Here are some more images for "fall foliage":

Mespilus germanica - medlar 'Breda Giant'
    IMG_0653.JPG

This image was taken during a walk in VanDusen
    IMG_0571.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
  19. Georgia Strait

Clearly VanDusen was not today ;)

Beautiful colors and textures

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
  20. Nadia White Rock

Thank you!

21. Georgia Strait

Friday Fall Foliage around town

Ginkgo is yellow leaf tree backed by a Japanese maple (burgundy leaves all summer)

Sédum (autumn glory?)

Huge rainfall swirling colours in street drain

QUESTION - bright red leaves name of plant? Leaves are approx 2 inch diam — I think this shrub is planted recently so it’s only approx 4 feet tall.

Attached Files:

Nadia White Rock likes this.
  22. wcutler

The last photo is Cotinus coggygria, smoke bush. Some of the photos that I click on with that colouring are the cultivar 'Royal Purple'; I don't know if the species has this colouring as well, nor do I know about other cultivars in the running.

23. Georgia Strait

Thank you - next time I’m nr the Cotinus red leaves I’ll see if there is still a nursery tag in the shrub.

24. wcutler

@Georgia Strait mentioned in a Conversation "What would be fun is to get the fall color portrait of your favorite blossom trees in the city and put the pix side by side (spring and fall )". Though these are both cherries, I'll post them in this thread.
    This is Prunus 'Tai-haku' at Seaforth Peace Park. the flower photo is from March, 2016.
    20160322_BurrardCornwall_Tai-haku_Cutler_152316.jpg Tai-haku_SeaforthPeacePark_Cutler_20191017_133641.jpg

And Prunus 'Accolade', two trees, on Pacific just west of Burrard. The flower photo is from March, 2015.
    20150310_PacificBurrard_Accolade_Cutler_P1160516.JPG Accolade_PacificBurrard_Cutler_20191017_141221.jpg

Nadia White Rock likes this.
  25. Georgia Strait

fantastic -- forensic flower and foliage fotography ;)

in all seriousness - so interesting to see side by side what we glance at as the days go by and the Earth is tilting to make this all happen.