Anybody seeing any early colour change?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

As I was driving up to my house a few days ago I noticed this leaf on my Osakazuki. People often talk about how stunning the fall colours are on this cultivar and I have to admit that that mine is living up to my expectations.

I will try and take some more pics tomorrow.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, 0soyoung and dicky5ash like this.
  2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Wow gorgeous, my Osakazuki is thinking about changing..

Here’s an orange dream

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Our Ariadne has changed and displaying lovely colouring, See attached. Hope Westonbirt has a lovely display this Autumn after a not too hot Summer. Looking forward to visiting very soon.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and dicky5ash like this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

Some more

Attached Files:

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Most of my trees are still green - or sunburnt :-(

But colours are changing rapidly, at least for some of them. The last picture is A. p. 'Koto-no-ito', very fragile, but I kept it in almost 100% shade and it's still green.

Attached Files:

6. dicky5ash

Here’s a few poorly taken photos of mine taken today on my I-phone.Note weird co-joined lobes on one tree..I don’t know what cultivar it is but it has probably 20% co-joined leaves all over it...on different branches.

Attached Files:

AlainK, ROEBUK and 0soyoung like this.
  7. AlainK

A. tataricum var. ginnala
    A. circinatum 'Burgundy Jewel'
    A. shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'
    A. p. 'Red Wine'

acer-tataricum_191013a.jpg acer-circ-BurgundyJewel_191013a.jpg acershir-a.moon_191013a.jpg acerp-redwine_191013a.jpg

ROEBUK, dicky5ash and 0soyoung like this.
  8. AlainK

Never seen that before. It looks like an amoenum cultivar, at first I thought of 'O sakazuki', but it could be any other of the same "family"...

dicky5ash likes this.
  9. dicky5ash

Lovely Autumn colours on yours..the A.S. Autumn Moon is superb.. I agree I also thought Amoenum group, I can’t remember where I even got that one from! It’s grown out fast!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  10. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here are a few Vancouver maples, not ones I'm growing.
    This is a backyard tree, viewed from a lane that I think is unofficially called Country Lane, in the Kensington-Cedar Cottage neighbourhood. Acer palmatum, maybe 'Osakazuki'.
    Acer-palmatum_700CountryLane_Cutler_20191013_143510.jpg Acer-palmatum_700CountryLane_Cutler_20191013_143534.jpg

These are street trees, planted by the city, same neighbourhood.
    Acer rubrum 'Bowhall'
    Acer-rubrumBowhall_28thStCatherines_Cutler_20191013_155454.jpg Acer-rubrumBowhall_28thStCatherines_Cutler_20191013_155413.jpg

Acer saccharum, in my neighbourhood, West End. I have a thread around here somewhere in which a few of us went to a lot of effort to ID this tree, so I'm pretty sure I have it named correctly.
    Acer-saccharum_1740Comox_Cutler_20191013_164443.jpg

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

To fit the bill a maple deemed 'Osakazuki' should be blazingly intense during autumn, unless this variety sometimes has off years. If the one at Van Dusen is known to be correct then that can be used for in person comparisons. I think some misidentified material has been on the market down here, for instance an "Osakazuki" I bought and planted here never had a single year where it was anywhere near hot red. So I removed it.

Otherwise your pictures of trees in fall color would be a lot more informative if you included close views, for instance with the one of the sugar maple you mention there having been an identification process involved but nobody looking now can see any relevant features of the leaf shape.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    dicky5ash likes this.
  12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

OK, that one is tree 3 in this thread: Identification: - Having trouble distinguishing these maple street trees

And I appreciate your checking up on my IDs. Re: the A. palmatum, I thought that was pretty good colour from a distance, and I didn't get close to the tree, but I do think in general, this has been an off-year for intense colour. I was wondering if that wasn't a bit large for 'Osakazuki'.

13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lots of maples down here are absolutely on fire at present. 26 ft. (8 m) has been said to be a typical ultimate height for 'Osakazuki'.

dicky5ash likes this.
  14. AlainK

It's so hard to identify a cultivar : there is a beautiful Acer palmatum that I can see in a street not far from where I live, only the top is visible above a 6-foot wall - 1m80), this year it's a flashing red but I'm almost certain it's not an 'O sakazuki'.

I should have taken photos because we're having heavy rain and wind, stormy weather right now so I think tomorrow it could be leafless...

dicky5ash and wcutler like this.
  15. dicky5ash

Yes, it’s been terrible here in the UK too, planning on going to Westonbirt this weekend, now or will be too late!!!

16. Luke’s Maples

Some more. I love the colour that the "ordinary looking" green dissectums turn in to. The small one is "Going Green" and it is amazing. The last 2 are of my new "Ornatum". It's the yellow I've been looking for

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, emery, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  17. Luke’s Maples

I was taking the rubbish out and thought "I'll take a pic of my Osakazuki in the dark"

Attached Files:

dicky5ash and wcutler like this.
  18. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It does indeed. After many years of flame red my largish 'Osakasuki' was faded yellow/orange last year, and looks to be doing the same this year. It is in full sun, and I think it likely that the burning sun and extended drought of the last 2 years have burnt the leaves. Still changing though, so we'll see for this year, but I was very surprised last fall. Another point is they tend to go a darker red before really flaming up.

After the extended drought we have now been getting quite a lot of rain, which is good for mushrooms but not so much for fall colors. Still I'll try post some pictures. Here are a few: A. japonicum 'Kujaku nishiki', A. sinopurpurascns, A. japonicum 'Aconitifolium', 2 of what I recall as A. rubrum 'Sun Valley' (raining too hard to go check the label), A. capillipes 'Honeydew'.

I have some pictures on the camera I'll try to get some up here.

-E

Attached Files:

19. AlainK

I kept my 'O sakazuki' in a very shaded spot, the colours so far are not that spectacular, but it's still beginning to put on its autumn colours.

Acer griseum was in mostly sun and its colours are faithful to what it showed in the previous years, a mix of bright reds and shades os pale green.

The "forest" of 'Beni Komachi' I got from a friend is very healthy, kept in 75% shade.

I have some plain A. palmatum with nice red colours, others that are just turning to a kind of burgundy shade, but the one with the best colours is from a seed collected on a roadside plantation, an atropurpureum dissectum of some kind. It has coarser leaves, a bit leathery, and on most of the yung leaves, the central lobe is slightly twisted to the side.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  20. dicky5ash

Gorgeous trees, I’d do anything for a A. japonicum 'Kujaku nishiki, never seen this cultivar available..I thus a saw one at Hampton Court garden show..Not for sale..I have a small Kujaku Bato that is putting on lovely autumn colours but a variegated white one would be dreamy! My Osakazuki was not on fire last year either..it’s starting to go nuclear red this year though, but it’s not there just yet, it’s about 12 foot now.

21. dicky5ash

Few more photos:
    J.Aconitifolium (the sick one that had some black bark on a few branches)
    P. Baldmith
    P. Garnet, not changed at all yet (baldmith in the background)
    P. Emerald lace

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and emery like this.
  22. emery

Interesting that your griseum is turning already Alain. One of mine is done, but it's young and was burnt to a crisp after having some chlorosis, the larger one hasn't started even a little. That 'Beni komachi' is terrific!

As is the 'Baldsmith', I really have to plant that one, really looking for more dissectums now.

Since @dicky5ash you're a fan of 'Kujaku nishiki', here's a pic of the whole tree from this year. But honestly it is usually more spectacular, with yellows, reds, oranges.

After that, a couple of AJ 'Vitifolium', and A. pictum 'Akikase nishiki'. Then a couple of 'Sango kaku', taken a few days apart, the first looking towards A. pseudosieboldianum, the second towards A. sieboldianum.

Finally, an A. pseudosieboldianum I am growing that is a very nice pumkin orange, A. shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium', and the ever reliable A. rufinerve showing nice reds and greens in spite of all the rain.

-E

IMG_4426.JPG IMG_20191004_160038.jpg IMG_20191005_133507.jpg IMG_20191007_155248.jpg IMG_20191007_155314.jpg IMG_20191008_155137.jpg IMG_20191013_154708.jpg IMG_20191013_135357.jpg IMG_20191013_134520.jpg IMG_20191014_115137.jpg

AlainK, ROEBUK and dicky5ash like this.
  23. dicky5ash

Both you and Alain have sone amazing trees. Those two Sanyo kaku’s are an amazing yellow, not seen that in my two. The Baldsmith has been with me for 5years, was a fairly mature tree with a 2” trunk but was not very interesting at all for 3 years then boom!

How old are your Vitifoliums, they look huge..I thought they are slow growers?

Alain’s Griseum looks very nice

24. emery

Sorry I wasn't more clear, that's actually the same Sango kaku, just taken pointing in different directions. Also the same 'Vitifolium'.

I have another SK but this was only it's second year in the ground, and it is leafless now. It had some nice red-tinged leaves into the fall, but the sun was really too much for it. The one shown here is in full sun all summer, but in autumn falls into the shadow of the house as the sun dips, and gets only morning and late afternoon sun. SK is very resistant but like most cultivars of A. palmatum the sun can be problematic until it has really got its roots underneath. This one was planted in spring 09, I think as a 5 liter.

The 'Vitifolium' was planted fall of 03, and it is a slow grower, though the reputation of the cultivar is to grow faster than average; hence the large leaves. But soil pH at the farm here is about 5.0-5.5 depending on location, which means that everything grows very slowly!

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. dicky5ash

Thanks Emery. One more question re Vitifolium, from your photo’s it looks like yours is getting full sun.. my one is only about 2foot and I had it under a large tree so dappled but sun all afternoon and the leaves burnt on the edges quite badly..so did my J. Meigetsu or could this be over watering?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019