Ornamental orange

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Archna, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Archna

Archna New Member

I bought a ornamental orange plant from nursery in a bag. After transferring it to pot it started giving new leaves. But now leaves have become light yellow in colour and are falling. What could be the cause and what should I do to save it?
    Thanks

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Please post, if possible, some photos of the plant, including a closeup of the leaves.

A few questions come to mind:
    • How long have you had this plant and has it been fertilized regularly since then?
    • What is the NPK formulation of the fertilizer and does it contain micronutrients?
    • Have you checked for the presence of pests?
    • How much light does it get?
    • Is it being grown indoors or outdoors?

3. Archna

Archna New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    1) this plant is 15 -20 days old.
    2) potting soil was half garden soil, less then half cow dung
    Fertized with equal mixture of bone meal, neem cake and half teaspoon of Epsom salt.
    3) I don't use NPK, instead I use mixture of banana peel , boiled tea leaves and egg shells.
    4) I couldn't see any pests but while spraying neem oil on my other plants, I sprayed it on this plant also.
    5) it is kept in balcony, where it gets good sunlight. Today I shifted it to the shade.
    6) watering I do when the top soil is dry.

4. Archna

Archna New Member

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

How often do you water your orange and how much water you pour into the container?
    Does your container has drainage/aeration hole(s) in the bottom?
    Do you use a decorative pot with high side walls to collect water, that drains through the container when watering?
    Citruses are rather sensitive to over watering and they don't like wet foot. Poor aeration of roots causes often root rot, and that is often reason for yellowing and dropping the leaves.

6. Archna

Archna New Member

Thanks for your advice.
    I water the plant when top soil is completely dry. At that time I water it fully till water comes out from pot
    Pot has good drainage. I use cemented pot, not ceramic one. I don't think I am over watering the plant. Could it be nutrient deficit or hot and humid climate?

7. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

It is hard to believe, that nutrient deficit could strike so soon after repotting. The soil had to be depleted already from the start, if the deficit is so accute now, that the plant is dropping leaves.
    Oranges generally like hot climate. I don't have any experience how hot your climate at New Delhi is. My citruses did well in my melon tent, where it was usually over +30ºC in the average summer day and quite often even above +40ºC.

8. Archna

Archna New Member

Thanks for your reply. Then what can be the cause of plant dying?

Should I spray fungicide over plant?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
  9. Junglekeeper

I would not as there is no indication of this being a fungal problem.
    Agreed.

I wonder this is damage from the neem spray; oil-based products can cause phytotoxicity if applied during periods of high temperatures.

10. Archna

Archna New Member

Thank you very much dear friends.
    Phytotoxcity by neem oil can be a possible cause for this damage, but then it should have caused damage to other plants also.
    I am using neem oil spray ( 5ml neem oil and 2 1/2 ml liquid soap in one liter water) on every plant. This spray saved my lemon plant, which w got badly infested and everything failed to control it.
    As suggested by my old gardener I had used few grains of DAP. Let's see how it reacts.
    Other suggestions are also welcome because I want to save this plant.

11. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I have met some withered and yellowing leaves on young citruses, where an earthworm occupied the container. Young citruses don't like if someone is moving too actively between their roots. After removing the earthworm from the pot, those plants usually are improving fast.

12. Archna

Archna New Member

Thanks for such a useful information. Is it advisable to again repot the plant in this condition?

13. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

The symptom of an earthworm in container is usually the worm cast under the drainage holes.
    If you suspect, that there is something wrong with the soil or roots, then repotting ASAP it is usually the best option, unless the plant has lots of fresh growth or flowers, regardless of usual recommended repotting season.

14. Xisbi

Xisbi New Member

it could also be magnesium deficiency, try mixing 1 table spoon of epsom salt and 1 gallon of water and water the plant with it.

15. Junglekeeper

16. Archna

Archna New Member

Thanks
    Yesterday I fed my plant with equal amounts of neem cake, mustard cake and bone meal. Let's see how the plant reacts.
    @Sulev, checked for earth worm casts. But couldn't find. Will keep an eye on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2019
  17. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

If the cow dung was too fresh, then it maybe burned the roots? I usually keep the share of a cow dung or a horse manure in my potting mixes below 30% and I use these organic amendments in an aged, partially decomposed state only.

18. Archna

Archna New Member

Thanks for your guidance. Cow dung manure I use is quite old one. And initially after repotting it start giving new leaves.