Snowdance Lilac leaf damage

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by nelos, Aug 14, 2019.

1. nelos

nelos New Member

Hey there,

I'm just wondering if anyone can recognize what might be causing these Snowdance Lilac tree leaves to whither ? I planted 5 6' high trees early this year and have kept up with watering. They receive a healthy amount of sun. I've attached photos of the leaves as well as a picture of an orange substance at the base of all the trees. Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers!

?temp_hash=1201c498e624fd04b1eac140489a8334.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2019
  2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

It looks like there are borer holes on the stem of the lilac. The lilac borer can cause similar symptoms on leaves.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    how exactly are you watering? (a hose in your hand or a sprinkler or a timer system with those pop up sprinkler heads ETC)

do you have your receipt for the plants your purchased? it would be worth going back and showing them the same photos and explaining

did you remove other plants from this same spot in garden

did you import any soil or mulch?

just some thoughts about some matters that have led to issues in my garden

4. nelos

nelos New Member

Thanks for your reply. We have been watering with a hose when we don't have rain (been wet season so far this summer). There had been a cedar hedge there when we bought property but cedars had died in that section as it had been hot the summer before and they were not watered. I took a rotoscoped tiller to the whole stretch and some mulch was added into the mix.

5. nelos

nelos New Member

Thanks I will look into that.