silver maple leads and sycamore

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kcopenheaver, Jul 31, 2019.

1. kcopenheaver

kcopenheaver New Member

I have some young silver maples and I would like to know if they are growing properly (correct leads).
    I have attached pictures

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Two of the photos show trees with the main trunk divided into two almost equal trunks, with a rather narrow angle between them. This configuration will likely result in a weak joint and is an invitation to the possibility of having one of the trunks split off the other one after many years of growth. Silver maples are short lived; so, it may not matter, because the trees could be senescent by the time that the trunks are heavy enough to split off.

3. kcopenheaver

kcopenheaver New Member

Thank you. Would it be too damaging to the tree or stunt the growth to remove one?

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

If you want to understand proper maintenance pruning and tree development it's great to gain the knowledge that helps form good pruning judgement. It's important to have a foundation in the how and why. This is some of the best FREE information you will find that is coming from a informed source. Take the time to learn the right way and you will have knowledge that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

This information will be useful for you in developing good pruning judgement.

Module eight: Nursery tree production
    Part 1
    Module 8-1

Part 3
    Module 8-3

Part 4
    Module 8-4

(Why this is all important long term)
    Module one: Tree mechanics and structure
    Part 4 Branch attachment

Module 1-4 Mechanics and Structure

Several other great modules on tree growth and management. The modules above are focused on the age of your tree and how to properly develop a high quality tree. Here is a complete list of the available modules:

Instructional videos - Edward F. Gilman - UF/IFAS

5. kcopenheaver

kcopenheaver New Member

Awesome! Thank you very much for your information.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I'm glad to help!

Once you get that information down and apply it to your young tree. You can then check out the in-depth pruning module to prepare you for the future life of your tree, maybe over Winter while your tree is dormant or when you have more free time.

Module ten: Pruning
    See part 1-12 (mainly parts 1-6 that focus on young and medium aged trees)
    Found in this link:
    Instructional videos - Edward F. Gilman - UF/IFAS

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019