Opinions needed for Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by joeycannoli, Jul 31, 2019.

1. joeycannoli

joeycannoli New Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some opinions on what japanese maple would work well in the attached location. The back of the house faces north so it gets sun for a majority of the day. I am looking for something to fill the space and get a maximum height of around 5-6ft. Something that really turns heads all season long with color. Zone 6. I have been doing some research and have picked out a few that might work for me:

Beni Maiko
    Geisha Gone Wild
    Orangeola
    Ori Zuru
    Beni Kawa
    Akane
    Sango-Kaku (get a little taller than my requirement, but might consider)
    Shin-Deshojo

What are your opinions? Anything else out there that might work better? Should I put somethign else there besides a JM entirely? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Joey, it's all personal choice, but if it were me and looking at your list, then I think Orangeola would be my preference. It is an interesting maple that will fill that corner over the years and give a stunning Autumn display. It can be trained to give a wonderful mound shape to a height just below your window ledge. Buy a fairly mature tree if you can to fill the corner quickly. Ensure a good draining growing medium and water regularly.

joeycannoli likes this.
  3. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Welcome, Joey. I have Geisha Gone Wild, Orangeola, Akane and Sango Kaku. I second the vote for Orangeola. Sango Kaku is perhaps one of the most misplaced of all maples as it is a fast grower and will quickly overgrow your space. I've had terrible experience with Akane and have found no responses to inquiries on successes. Orangeola will respond to selective pruning and will give you beautiful branch structure that may prove to be worth more in the dead of winter than anything else on your list. I've come to appreciate the structure of maples as much, if not more, than the color display.

4. joeycannoli

joeycannoli New Member

Thank you both for the warm welcome and the advise thus far. Seems Orangeola is the front-runner so far. What are you thoughts on Orange Dream? That one gets a lot of praise as well it seems and it might be more in terms of what I am looking for with an upright pattern. Thoughts?

5. Acerholic

Hi Joey, tbh Orange dream is a lovely maple, we have this one as well, my only thought is that it can get burnt fairly easily if not in the perfect conditions with good dappled shade. Looking at your photos there is no dappled shade. If you are a collector you create conditions to protect every one. If you are growing one in a front garden that might not have ideal conditions re protection from the sun I would still go for Orangeola. Crimson Queen is also one you could consider with similar characteristics. Geezer 840 is right in that structure is just as pleasing to look at throughout the winter months. I'm sure you will get more helpful comments from members soon.

6. Geezer840

There are very few upright Japanese maples that will not get over six feet tall. When looking for specimens understand that most sellers quote a height at 10 years. A tree that you buy that’s 4 feet tall is likely 3-5 years old. If you are buying a tree that is more mature your goal of 6 feet will come soon. I’m curious what size you were given for Sango-Kaku as a neighbor of mine, who planted his 15 years ago, now has a very nice 20 foot tall tree that’s still growing.

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I agree Orangeola was my first choice out of the list; given the view out the window. It will offer great winter interest with age.

Beni kawa over sango kaku.
    Acer palmatum corallinum is a great dwarf palmatum with great season long colors but over it's life will exceed 5-6' but in my area it rarely gets that tall.

If you want something architectural or want to remind some people it's 4:21 somewhere consider mikawa yatsubusa or shishigashira! Makes a good focal point from the patio while having a moment of Zen or contemplating the meaning of life.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  8. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi. I have Orangeola and I love it. I have it in a container and have moved it around to different locations. It seems to thrive no matter where I put it. I have had it in full sun for a whole summer and it did great. There are many beautiful trees to choose from, but even if you hadn’t made those suggestions and just showed the area you want to put the tree, I’d still have suggested an Orangeola.

9. Luke’s Maples

I also have Beni Maiko which has put out an incredible second flush of bright red/pink growth just as the older growth greens out. Also has been quite slow growing so could fit the space well.

10. joeycannoli

joeycannoli New Member

Thanks for all the comments thus far. Getting a good consensus on the Orangeola. If I can't find one locally, is there a go-to online store that has a good reputation?

11. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I think katsura would stand up to the sun much better than orange dream and would be a better fit for the location.

Pendulum Julian would be an alternative to orangeola

12. Luke’s Maples

Yes, I have a Katsura that I dug up as it got battered by the wind. It was in a very sorry state and I had almost given up on it. It is now in a container in a sheltered but sunny spot and it is growing back really well.

13. Acerholic

Our Katsura is about 12ft tall, wonderful salmon colour in the Spring. Definitely hardier than orange dream. Just think it's too fast growing and too large a variety for your position. Have heard of Pendulum Julian but not seen one other than on YouTube 'Amazing maples', it certainly is another excellent option as suggested by JT1.

14. joeycannoli

joeycannoli New Member

I am planning to do Katsura or Akane in the front when we re-do the walkway. I think either would ultimately be a little too big for this spot in the back.

15. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yes, Orange dream and katsura would out grow the height limit. Our Orange dream is 15' tall and about 6' wide. I thought if they were considering orange dream that katsura would be a better choice. Orange dream does not like sun or heat. If you can shade the roots and protect it by using near by trees and provide it with water you can keep it happy. But every one that I have seen planted as an open specimen gets fried in our mid-June thru mid-Sept sun and heat.

If height is a firm limiting factor then a cultivar like orangeola and Pendulum Julian is the way to go.

Going against the norm, I love looking out a window and seeing through an upright Japanese maple. So beautiful and magical with age (the shadows on a west facing window are great in a breeze). I understand that most don't like landscape to be above a sight line out a window. I just happen to put beauty above the norm in some cases.

Some great Japanese maples that are beautiful to look through with age are:
    Emperor I
    Atrolineare
    Trompenburg
    seiryu
    Ibo nishiki
    Tsukushigata

Non Japanese maples
    Stewartia
    Cornus kousa
    Cornus alternifolia
    Acer griseum
    Acer shirasawanum autumn moon

Height restrictions in mind:
    A mounding selection of dogwood that would stay below 5'-6' consider:
    Cornus kousa 'Kristin Lipka's Variegated Weeper' PP 13384 - Kristin Lipka's Variegated Weeping Kousa Dogwood. They have a nice picture here:
    Cornus kousa 'Kristin Lipka's Variegated Weeper' PP 13384 - Kristin Lipka's Variegated Weeping Kousa Dogwood - Broken Arrow Nursery

Betula pendula 'Trost Dwarf'
    Abies koreana 'Ice Breaker'
    Larix decidua 'Pendula'

16. joeycannoli

joeycannoli New Member

Local nursery that i frequent has a #10 Orangeola for $270. With my discount it would be just over $200. Going to look at it this weekend.

17. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

$200 is a fair price for a #10. It's a good size for planting while having good instant impact and better survivability than a younger tree.

18. Acerholic

Sounds very nice !!!! If you are spending that amount of money ensure correct preparation of the soil and add plenty of bark, john Innes no3 and sprinkle michroriasil around the roots when planted. Ensure regular watering. Take photos when in place and post it on this forum. Good luck.

19. Geezer840

If you have not planted Japanese maples before be sure to ask for advice. Several who have responded to this thread are experts. That means we’ve all lost a tree or two do to our own planting errors. The more the tree costs the more it hurts.

20. joeycannoli

joeycannoli New Member

Thank you for you advice! I planted one japanese maple last year and its doing well besides the instance it got attacked by deer. I will admit i didn't add any of the above but i am interested in learning and doing it the proper way this time. When you say bark - would pine bark nuggets work? I looked up michroriasil and couldn't find anything. The john innes brings me to products like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Fertilizer-C...ocphy=1022036&hvtargid=pla-386721725469&psc=1

Sorry for the question. I am new to this and want to learn. Thank you!

21. Acerholic

We use small pine bark chippings, good compost , (John Innes no3) is a uk compost, but I'm sure one of the US people on this site can advise of similar. Michroriasil is to aid root establishment it is a fungai. Remember that JMs are shallow rooting so when planted mulch the surface with pine straw but don't place it right up to the trunk. This will ensure the delicate roots do not get dried out. The reason for good drainage is that JMs like moist roots but hate their roots sitting in water. Good preparation of the planting hole will reap its rewards for many years.