Cigarette butts hamper plant growth—study

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Junglekeeper, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Even though I've never smoked, I don't think this study should cause smokers to feel guilty about the impact cigarettes have on the environment. Undoubtedly many will disagree but I don't see this, currently, as much of a threat to our environment. Obviously, it would be respectful not to dispose of butts in public places.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd disagree; it is one of the commonest litter items around, so high levels of contamination can be expected.

The breakdown times I've seen cited give centuries or even millenia, rather than years or decades.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I don't mean to be frivolous because I have no doubt that the bioplastic in cigarette butts is a significant problem in the relatively small areas where they proliferate.

What I was getting at is the fact that this it is a very localized concern, considering that Canada covers an area of almost 4 million square miles.

I am pessimistic that receptacles for butts or more education directed at smokers would make any difference to the behaviour of those who are causing the problem. If they don't care about their own health, why should they care about the health of the environment?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019