Is my new potted JM dying?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ChrisT2208, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ChrisT2208

ChrisT2208 New Member

Hi all,

I'm worried my JM may be dieing and I'm also a newbie.
    Please help! I love this thing and I've only had it for aprox 3 weeks, maybe a month.

Here are some photos from yesterday....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Chris, I'm afraid you are right. It happens sometimes for no apparent reason, some cultivars are more difficult than others to establish especially the variegated types. If you are going to replace, consider buying from another nursery. Also I would suggest not repotting any new maple until September at the earliest using a bark and compost mix. Do not over water and ensure morning sun and afternoon shade. Don't despair, we have all lost new acquisitions and puserverance will reap its rewards.

3. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Sometimes JMs do this 'flame out' because of a dramatic change in light level (i.e., from shade to full sun) or other disturbances. I frequently see trees in landscape nurseries do this. If so in your case, the leaves will drop and another flush will appear in 3 to 6 weeks. As long as there are buds, there is hope.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The tree is in an environment that dries out the leaves faster than they can keep up, due to the stucco wall and brick pavers. It's also complicated by the cold, cloudy, wet spring for weeks followed by a sudden jump to heat, bright sun, and humidity.

Do you have a better spot for the tree?

Generally speaking:
    Leaves fail from inside out- too wet.
    Leaves fail outside in- too dry.
    Leaves fail all at once- shock or bacterial infection if black areas are present on bark.

If you have no other space for the tree and it's not bacterial or root problem, then heat/shock induced trees will form secondary buds and leaf out with leaves better evolved for the environment of heat and dry air from concrete. With that said, it does need to be moved further from the wall.

Soil too wet- vertical mulch to allow more oxygen to the roots.

Soil too dry, submerge pot in tub of water up to the pot lip and allow all bubbles to escape and eliminate dry pockets (water will rise up to the soil level from bottom of the pot through the soil to the surface), then once all bubbles escape pull out of water. Then increase your watering schedule to keep up with the increase in temperature leading into Summer.

The ball is in your court, look back to the 10 days leading up to this event. History has the answer. Trees generally don't respond immediately, it usually shows signs 3-5 days after, unless shock or bacterial.

If bark is healthy color, free of wrinkles, and buds present where leaves attach to hard stems then your tree is alive and will leaf out again in 3 weeks. Anyway short on time, so look forward to your response and I will give additional information if needed.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  5. ChrisT2208

ChrisT2208 New Member

The leaves are dry and crinkling from the outside- in. Which indicates they must be too dry/ they've burnt because of the heat and direct sunlight in their original location on my deck. I moved the JM to the current location against the stucco just before my original post. (I should note that it was in full sun for most of the day on the deck and in it's current spot gets morning sunlight until aprox. 1pm, then it spends the remainder of the day in the shade).

I will be sure to provide more water. Also, the bark appears very healthy and the branches, stems, and "trunk" of the JM do not appear or feel dry. I cannot see "buds" at the moment, but may be premature.

I watched a video that suggested pulling off the burnt leaves, but I'm worried that is a very aggressive and possibly harmful thing to do.

I thank everyone for their input so far. I hope I can save my JM...

6. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Pulling off leaves risks damaging the axillary buds. Defoliation is not such a bad idea, though likely unnecessary. Do it by cutting the petioles with a scissor. The tree is likely to produce another flush and that flush will adapt very quickly to the light level at the time.

7. ChrisT2208

ChrisT2208 New Member

Thank you all for your input.
    I removed the burnt leaves and.... I’ve got buds!!
    I’m happy it’s still alive.

Moving it to a more shady area really helped. It now gets morning sunshine and around noon-1pm onward it’s in the shade.

Attached Files:

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Great to hear! Thanks for the update!