Japanese Gardens resource discussion thread

Resources related to design and appreciation of Japanese gardens, and Japanese gardening techniques

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

wcutler submitted a new resource:
    Japanese Gardens

Links to online and print information about Japanese gardens and gardening. Thanks to user @JT1 for some of the suggestions that I have included. Full descriptions of the recommendations are in postings
    Japanese Garden Enthusiast home page - Great online resource!
    Japanese Gardens Outside Japan- Great online resource!
    Could be the greatest books ever written on Japanese Gardens
    The books recommended in this forum will be there soon.

Discuss resources on the list here, and submit suggestions for ones to be added to the list.

Read this resource...

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Bowdoin College (Brunswick, Maine) Garden Page is great for historical information and photos on Japanese gardens, mostly focused on the gardens of Kyoto. (Adobe flash player needed to view the full content for each garden)
    Japanese Gardens -

The online photo library of Japanese garden elements. Great for beginners to learn in an easy to navigate format. The content and great photos will be of value to beginners and enthusiast alike.

Japanese Gardens - Elements

Click on the photo of each garden element and you are taken to a page dedicated to bridges (for example) with the garden name that the bridge is located. Click on the photo to see a larger image and a detailed description of the bridge construction and history.
    Japanese Gardens - Elements - Bridges 1

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Flowers of Japan (Kamakura)
    A photo catalogue of flowering trees and shrubs, with the common and Japanese names:
    Japanese Flowers
    Great for beginners who want to learn the Japanese names and see examples of each type. A good starting point for further research because it lacks in depth botanical information. Perfect for someone who wants to get ideas for adding Japanese flowers to their own garden or for someone who can appreciate and enjoy the beauty.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. wcutler

Thanks, @JT1. I have added these, and also a book I learned of while reading Florence Du Cane, Flowers and Gardens of Japan, which an acquaintance gave me a while ago.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for sharing, I will have to check it out!

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Sukiya Living Magazine (JOJG)
    Best Books

"Here are the best books ever written on Japanese Gardening & the Sukiya Living Environment" (from 2008, updated list available to subscribing members)

Best Books

Attached Files:

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

My Japanese Garden - home page
    This is a great online resource by Chris Gare for those who want to add Japanese garden elements using materials outside of Japan or want to create their own garden. Great photos, links, recommended books, and text documenting how to create the elements. The author has done an amazing job documenting the formation of their garden in a straight forward way and provides all the resources used during each step in a way that is easy to use and understand. The left navigation bar on his site is loaded with great information for the DIY'er.

Information by same author dedicated to building a teahouse.
    My Japanese Teahouse - home page

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  9. wcutler

Thanks for both (the three) of these. I decided to make the Best Books link a reference for the magazine, and put the link to the pdf under that.

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

One of the Japanese garden design principals (important in ANY garden design) that excites me the most, has greatest impact and feeling is transcience. I don't want to say too much, as this is a great video on transcience:

NHK Design Talks Plus Transcience
    Guest, Garden designer Shunmyo Masuno shares design principals and their connection to Zen teachings.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Acerholic and chimera like this.
  11. wcutler

I've put it on the Resource page. I had a hard time getting past those people who were there to add drama or something, if making uninteresting comments is drama, or maybe they were there to lengthen the program to a half hour. I found them very distracting and would have liked the video better if it had just showed Shunmyo Masuno walking around the garden talking about it directly to us. It got good reviews - one person said "spellbinding".

I do appreciate your posting it! Thanks.

12. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I originally found this Shunmyo Masuno write up on a story aired 2/2017, but the video was no longer available. So the design talks episode was the only thing I could find available. But here is the article:

Monday, July 17, 2017
    *This program was first broadcast on February 14, 2017
    Gardens of Zen
    Shunmyo Masuno

Zen Priest/Landscape Architect
    • 1486006153_min.jpg
    • 1486006161_min.jpg
    • 1486006167_min.jpg
    Shunmyo Masuno is a priest who has been designing Japanese gardens based on the principles of Zen Buddhism for over 30 years. His work is currently winning attention around the world.

The following are excerpts from our interview.

Zen is about “encountering your true self.” That’s how it’s described. And what exactly is this “true self”? Well, you won’t find it outside your physical body. It’s the other you, the you that lies within. All of us have a pure heart, free of blemishes. But it tends to happen that as we grow up, there are all sorts of temptations all around us. They surround us. We call those “attachments.” These things gradually surround, the beautiful heart.

So we undertake ascetic practices to make these attachments weaker and weaker. We call this shugyo, literally, “practicing the way.” And this is only possible by living a highly regimented lifestyle. You work to find your pure inner heart. That’s what we call “encountering your true self.” The most important of the ascetic practices is seated Zen meditation. But that's not the only thing you do. Standing up and walking around, sleeping -- in Zen, every action you take is part of your training.

If you want to explain what a Zen garden is in simple terms, it is a place within which you can find all the truth of the world. Within the garden, there is the changing of the seasons. For instance, it gradually gets warmer, and then a south wind comes. And when that south wind comes, flowers come to bloom on the trees. New leaves begin to sprout.

That was true a thousand years ago, it’s true now, and it will still be true in a thousand years. It’s an unchanging fact. In other words, it’s the truth. It is important to live our lives in harmony with these unchanging things. Buddhism teaches us that. By entering the garden, you are cleansing your soul. You’re able to feel calm.

And when you do that, when your heart is at peace, that’s when you can look inward. This is a safe space to reflect. You can think, “I’ve been living my life like this, but maybe I should live it like it this.” Visiting the garden helps you find yourself. Those are the kinds of spaces I strive to create. The space opens up, then it closes. Opens, closes. It goes back and forth. And this creates change within the human heart. When you go from a closed place to an open place, or an open place to a closed place -- it’s a dramatic change, and it acts as a catalyst for changing your own outlook.

Gardens of Zen - Shunmyo Masuno - Direct Talk - NHK WORLD - English

13. wcutler

Thank you. I've added a link in the resource to your posting.

14. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Core Kyoto - Mirei Shigemori: The Ageless Modernity of the Rock Garden [1080p]

Mirei Shigemori, a prolific landscape artist based in Kyoto from the late 1920's, is famous for the striking and abundant creativity of his gardens, considered one of the great Japanese garden designer of modern time. He made a powerful impact on garden design in Kyoto with his checkerboard-patterned gardens and dry karesansui gardens that use dynamic rock groupings, such as Hasso-no-niwa at Tofuku-ji and Joko-no-niwa at Matsunoo Taisha. Discover the ageless modernity of Mirei's revolutionary designs that continue to stimulate, inspire and influence people today.

Updated link to NHK World site:
    Mirei Shigemori: The Ageless Modernity of the Rock Garden - Core Kyoto | NHK WORLD-JAPAN On Demand

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  15. wcutler

I finally got around to doing something with this, and I got a Video unavailable message - The YouTube account associate with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

16. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

This YouTube user has several NHK videos, so hopefully this video will not be removed. NHK no longer has the video on their site.

17. wcutler

Thank you for finding that. I have put it on the resource page. It was very interesting - I watched the whole thing.

18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Glad you liked it! I found it both interested and insightful.

19. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Japanese Garden Dictionary
    English Index -- Japanese Garden Dictionary

A glossary of Japanese garden terms with the English and Japanese name in alphabetical order. When you click on the English name (in blue) it takes you to a page with definition, more information, and some provide a picture for more clarity.

20. wcutler

Thanks for the link, @JT1, and also for writing the blurb!
    I've added it to the resource page.

JT1 likes this.