New arrivals, advice please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all

2 new young arrivals turned up at my door today. Very exciting. I got them from eBay at quite reasonable prices. An Ukigumo in a 3 ltr pot which I’m very happy with. I have never even seen one of these before and I wondered whether they have any special needs. I’m guessing/hoping the same kind of conditions as my other Maples will be ideal - morning sun, afternoon dappled shade and free draining soil etc? The other is a tiny tiny Beni Otake that looks like a “newborn”. Looking at how amazing the leaves look, I’m have no doubt that in time this has the potential to be a beautiful tree. However, am I going to be able to keep it alive? I really would like some advice on how to “mother” it.

Again, thanks for helping in advance.

Luke

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, lovely Ukigumo, don't repot it until the Autumn but only if you need to,check for roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. We keep ours in a lot of shade after having it in more sun the last two years which produced darker green variegation. This year it is a lovely stronger white variegation.
    Re your Beni Otaki, I would 'not' re pot it this Autumn unless the roots are really showing through the bottom. We are pleased with our Beni Otaki we purchased a couple of years ago and it's only just in a 2ltr pot,we try not to place in the next size pot for at least a year after purchase. This Winter consider giving the pot some protection from water logging and frosts. We have always put a bubble wrap waist coat around all our smaller maples and put them under cover outside.

AlainK likes this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks again for your quick response Acerholic. I’m impressed with the size and health of the Ukigumo. I’ll take your advice, but I’m not too concerned about it to be honest. The graft on the Beni looks very new, is there anything I need to do to protect it? Apart from the winter bubble wrap of course.

I also received the pine bark from Melcourt and the Ericaceous Rootgrow today ready for the plants that need repotting this year. Should I do this in late Autumn or early Spring?

I should be receiving the Mikawa Yatsubusa in the next week too. Very excited about that!

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I am not the most knowledgeable person to advise on how to care for the little Beni Otake except that is probably not quite so young or defenseless as you may think. What shocks me is that it would be sent to you in a pot crusted over with liverwort and weed seedlings like snapweed (Cardamine hirsuta). Especially if you do not have those two plants in your garden already, you should get rid of them immediately. The liverwort looks as though it is set to release spores if it hasn't already so first take off the little 'umbrellas' and discard them in the trash. If that were my plant, I'd put it in a slightly larger pot, meanwhile pulling off as much liverwort as possible without damaging the maple roots. If some liverwort remains, you could kill it by carefully dabbing the green 'leaves' with vinegar using a Q-tip or small paint brush. I would add a light mulch to inhibit the regrowth of the liverwort but monitor it carefully because there are undoubtedly spores remaining in the soil.

AlainK likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Your Beni Otaki looks like any new graft. It looks very healthy. No nothing to do to it at all. We repot in the Autumn, but not too late as it's always good for the roots to establish a little in the new pot before harsh cold weather. Good to hear you got the bark. It's quality but quite expensive with delivery. Hope your Mikawa is a good size, it's a wonderful specimen tree for years to come. If only we could get the trees Charlie buys on Amazing Maples. There is a nursery that does larger but more expensive trees. Junkers in the West country run by Karan Junker. She does do the ghost series which I totally recommend. I purchased Amber Ghost from her three years ago and it was a quality plant and really well packaged. I have Amber, Grandma, Sister, Purple, First and Uncle Ghosts. All quite hardy except Sister Ghost which does need more protection than the others. Send a photo of your Mikawa when you get it.

6. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Margot. I’ll take a look tomorrow and see if I can get rid of that top layer of weeds. I’ll look at repotting as long as I can do so without disturbing the roots. I’ll then be able to add some mulch to help protect it. I have to admit I was taken back by it when I opened the package but wasn’t really sure what it was. Once again thanks for the advice.

7. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Acerholic. I have been in touch with Karan Junker actually and she advised I contact her closer to Autumn when they get ready to plant out. If the Mikawa isn’t any good I may ask if she can supply a decent one.

Would you recommend using the Rootgrow on plants as young as the Beni?

Thanks

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes for sure. But above all listen to Margot and get that that liverwort out of the pot. It will keep moisture trapped in the soil, cause stem problems, and spreads easily. It's a sign of too wet soil, and it's a real pest. However, it will peel right off the top of the pot, so if you don't want/need to repot, you can easily remove it without bothering the roots of the young graft.

9. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Emery it will be sorted first thing tomorrow morning!!

10. Luke’s Maples

Hopefully it’ll be happy in its new surroundings It was surprisingly satisfying making up even the smallest amount of potting mix.

Ericaceous compost, pine bark, grit and a tiny bit of Rootgrow.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

And of course a thorough removal of all the liverwort etc!

Thanks for your help with this.

12. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ukigumo definitely needs shade. I love this one and have 3.
    Here’s a pic

Attached Files:

13. Luke’s Maples

Wow that is stunning. What an incredible contrast. I love it! Thanks for sharing.