Guess where I went today

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, May 27, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hello everyone.

A spontaneous trip to Westernbirt Arboretum today. Happy days.

Here are a few of the pics I snapped. They are just taken with my iPhone so nothing special.

Can’t wait to go again in Autumn!

Attached Files:

emery and 0soyoung like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, wonderful!! The national collection of Japanese Maples should be seen by all enthusiasts. November is equally fantastic and a great day out when so many Japanese maples appear to be on fire, 'they are so vibrant'. As you probably have also now seen how the upper canopy of firs gives the perfect dappled shade and drops needles that helps acidify the soil. These are the conditions we should all try to replicate in our own gardens. Glad you had a nice day.

3. Luke’s Maples

I know, conditions are perfect. I wish I could create a setting as ideal as this at home.

I think I should invest in a decent camera with lots and lots of storage.

I wonder whether people from this or any other forum ever meet up there?

4. Acerholic

Perhaps it could be a consideration for the Maple Society in future years!! Another place worth visiting is Kingston Lacy in Dorset. They have a wonderful Japanese tea garden and an area with many mature Japanese maples. It's a National Trust property.

5. Luke’s Maples

I absolutely love the big, and most likely very old dissectums. The trunk and branch structures are incredible.

This is an Emerald Lace and an Ornatum.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

So (based on your original post) most of them you couldn't tell what specific kinds they were? I went to Westonbirt in 1994, think labeling and signage may have been scattershot at that time as well. Same thing at Kew, Wisley etc. also - I guess I am used to the history of comprehensive labeling at the Seattle arboretum, which I have read is exceptional.

7. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I’ve only ever been to Westonbirt in Autumn but after seeing your photos reckon it’s worth a visit this time of year. I agree, Kingston Lacy is great for Maples, but I’d also recommend the Harold Hillier gardens at Romsey.
    Acerholic, if you collect Maples, do you know Barthelemys in Wimborne?
    I’d highly recommend a visit.

8. Acerholic

If you like discectums, perhaps one to consider in the future is Seiryu (green leaves), it is I believe the only upright discectum and makes wonderful branching. I have a three year old Seiryu graft and am looking forward to it becoming a lovely tree.

9. Luke’s Maples

Hi Ron

Yes unfortunately not all of the trees are labelled with the exact cultivar etc. Many of them just read Acer Palmatum, Japonicum or Amoenum. But many of them were labelled, and my shopping list has now doubled. Dangerous.

10. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Jaybee, I’ll have a look at those places. Thanks for the recommendation.

11. Luke’s Maples

Acerholic, great minds think alike. This is my 3-4 year old Seiryu.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

You have a really nice tree there. Will deserve pride of place in a few years.

13. Luke’s Maples

Thanks. How is your 3 year old looking? Do you have a pic?

This is a Seiryu I took a pic of at Westonbirt today. It’ll be a while before ours look like that lol.

Attached Files:

0soyoung likes this.
  14. Acerholic

No don't have a pic. Yours looks a lot further on than ours.
    Yes the Westonbirt specimen is and should be wonderful.
    Try and go back in October/November on a clear sunny day as early in the day as possible to avoid the crowds.

15. Luke’s Maples

Thanks, I will definitely be going again in Autumn. Good advice on the getting there early. It does get very busy.

16. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The Maple Society has very close ties with Westonbirt and we have visited privately several times in the past. I believe a private visit is likely to happen again in 2020 or at latest 2021.

It is worth noting that many plants there without a cultivar listed are probably in fact just the species. These maples have a great deal of variation, but are not always selected for propagation, thank goodness! Enough cultivars as it is!

If you subscribe to the Seed Exchange there is quite a bit of interesting seed that comes from Westonbirt, collected by committee member and former director H. Angus.

-E

AlainK likes this.
  17. Luke’s Maples

Thanks
    Thanks Emery that’s very interesting. I will take a look at that. There is a nursery here in the UK (ornamental trees I believe) that sells a few grafts that have been taken from Westonbirt.