Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, May 21, 2019.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have all of the "Ghost series" and i would put them in order of Amber, Sister, Purple, First ghost, the others are ok but i prefer these four and have more success in growing these with good growth rates and excellent pattern and colour phases.

Pendulum julian my favourite dissectum have a few of these, three colur changes through out the season stunning fall colours. For a solid red dissectum through out the year Red dragon or Heartbeat everytime.

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I agree in fact I have had "off the record" conversations with several growers that say Amber and Sister are the only two worth owning. Of those, mixed felings on purple, some say it's cool but others say it's not worth it compared to other varieties. I only have seen purple at the nurseries and prefer amagi shigure providing you get a healthy one and can keep it happy while getting established.

3. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Oh my goodness, yes you have given me lots to think about. Thanks. I have a couple of the Butterfly that I bought a few years ago as they were buy one get one free. They were almost identical at the time. Over the past 3 years I have experimented with different positions in the garden, different pot sizes etc and now they are so different. I thought about giving one to my neighbour as I have limited space and want to make room for new stuff. If I was to get another variegated cultivar I was thinking Ukigumo as the white would stand out. Another one I keep gravitating back to is Mikawa Yatsubusa. I love the Autumn Moon. I have an Aureum but it gets crispy really easily and I’m forever moving it around.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yeah that is the other one many are drawn to when they visit the garden and are not Japanese maple enthusiast. Before I got mikawa yatsubusa it was shishigashira. But now they all get excited about mikawa yatsubusa or autumn moon. Corallinum gets mentioned in early spring it seems but I like it all season long.

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, thought I would mention this book, Japanese Maples by JD Vertrees and Peter Gregory. It is a wonderful book for all Acer enthusiasts. The photos are excellent and the information regarding each cultivar is second to none. The only downside is that you end up having a very long list of Maples you want to buy. You can buy it on Amazon.

6. seagonus

seagonus Active Member 10 Years

Added a couple of more recent pics of the large Seiryu in my original post for your interest.

Re the Mikawa Yatsubusa. My wife loved it so much she insisted I buy it at the nursery. Of course I wasn't going to complain lol. The one below cost me $80. I thought it was a deal, and I must admit my eye is drawn to it. So glad I planted it next to the gazebo where I sit so often.

Attached Files:

7. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I actually sighed to myself when I looked at those pictures. It really is something else that wouldn’t look out of place at Westonbirt Arboretum.

The Mikawa is amazing in its own way. I love the way the leaves grow. They are not so easily found over here though. My last purchase was a £25 Koto Hime whichI actually really like.

Attached Files: