Identification: Large Acer palmatum, prominent green veins

Discussion in 'Maples' started by wcutler, May 15, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This Stanley Park tree is just south of the top of the Magnolia Path on Lagoon Drive. I hope this is a cultivar whose leaves are supposed to look like this - they're very beautiful, as is the whole tree.
    Acer-palmatum_StanleyParkRhodyGarden_Cutler_20190514_102447.jpg Acer-palmatum_StanleyParkRhodyGarden_Cutler_20190514_102423.jpg Acer-palmatum_StanleyParkRhodyGarden_Cutler_20190514_102355.jpg Acer-palmatum_StanleyParkRhodyGarden_Cutler_20190514_102644.jpg

Douglas Justice's May 2019 in the Garden | UBC Botanical Garden blog this month is on forked-branched maples, and he mentions Acer palmatum being in that group. I think these photos show off that characteristic:
    Acer-palmatum_StanleyParkRhodyGarden_Cutler_20190514_102449.jpg Acer-palmatum_StanleyParkRhodyGarden_Cutler_20190514_102617.jpg StanleyParkRhodyGarden_Cutler_20190514_102635.jpg

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Possibly 'Shigitatsu sawa' since older. There are now many similar cultivars like some of the "Ghost series" but I haven't paid enough attention to ID them. 'Peaches and Cream' is another reticulated cultivar that's been around a while, though I'm not guessing that one. Should be possible for a cultivarista to ID but with the usual caveats.

wcutler likes this.
  3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I second,
    I've seen a very large 45 gallon that's been there 30+ years at a nearby nursery. The form is identical, so is the leaf. Those multiple branches coming together on a very short trunk is unmistakable when this variety is grafted low and allowed to grow without manipulation or training.

I would have loved to get it, but the width was way too much for my lot and the fact we were finished with our landscape left no room for it. The massive crown low to the ground doesn't lend itself to a suburban lot, much better suited for a large garden or stroll garden.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    wcutler likes this.
  4. wcutler

Wow, exciting to have a name, even if it is a hard one to learn! Thanks, guys.

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Shigitatsu Sawa for sure a very quick growing tree, now is the best time to see the reticulation on the leaves (crisp and well defined pattern) , here's some pics of mine few more years and this will have to be cut back getting near the fence now !

Attached Files:

emery, JT1 and wcutler like this.
  6. wcutler

Here is a better photo of the samaras and some male flowers on the Acer palmatum 'Shigitatsu Sawa'.
    AcerShigitatsuSawa_StanleyParkRhodyGardenMagnoliaPath_Cutler_20190518_161607.jpg

JT1 likes this.