Propagation: Bark chippings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, May 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi
    I'm a new member of the Maple Society, so apologise if I've done this wrong. Can I ask if anybody knows in the UK of where to purchase finebark chippings for re-potting of Young Maples?

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hello, I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't know what can possibly be wrong with asking it here!

Welcome to the Maple Society, we're very glad to have you. There's a fabulous visit in Taunton this coming weekend, I don't know if that's anywhere near you, but if so you can ask people directly. There are visits to Mallet Court (James Harris) Nursery and Junkers, I'm very disappointed to not be able to attend. Going be an opportunity to buy some really unusual maples.

cheers, -Emery

3. Acerholic

Thanks Emery.
    Yes the Taunton visit does look good but unfortunately we can't get there this weekend. Karan Junker does sell some wonderful maples but she also does mail order. Supplied us with a beautiful Amber Ghost a few years ago.
    Again thanks for the reply

4. Acerholic

After some research I have found a supplier of propogating Pine Bark chippings that is ideal to give good airaition and help drainage. The company is The Garden Superstore in Arundel Sussex UK. £15 for a 60 ltr bag plus postage so not cheap. I will be using this to replace the pearlite I have been using. Thanks also to ROEBUK for the advice.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Nice one. The stuff is murder to get here in France.