In The Garden: A tree with purple pink cherry laurel like flowers

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Joseph Lin, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

I saw this 4-5 meter hight tree with clusters of purple pink cherry laurel like flowers, and leaves without teeth in the Eastern America section of Vandusen Garden

Attached Files:

2. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

Funny I was looking for a label on that on Friday with no luck. I have searched in the VD accession book and there are 3 Prunus listed for this bed (28). Prunus 'Beni Shidare' which it is not, Prunus serotina -red leaf form- which I don't think it is as they have white flowers, a denser raceme and I thought the leaves were a bit bigger. There is a Prunus serotina up in bed 55 just after you go through the stone arch on the right side. also red leaf form. This one matches the pics on the internet for Prunus padus 'Colorata' so I think that is what it could be. its age is correct too as the accession book has 1983 as its accession date. this one is quite large and sprawly and to me seems rather old.

20190419_vandusen garden autumn stroll_Prunus padus Colorata_llennie_153227.jpg 20190419_vandusen garden autumn stroll_Prunus padus Colorata_llennie_153617.jpg 20190419_vandusen garden autumn stroll_Prunus padus Colorata_llennie_153621.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2019
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I agree with Lisa. I posted photos of these in 2013:
    Shaughnessy
    I didn't post the label, but here it is:
    20130428_VanDusen_PrunusPadusColorata_Cutler_P1430516.JPG

4. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

Fantastic. I will see if they can relabel it.