Wondering how to distinguish 'Yae-beni-shidare'

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by yaletowner, Apr 7, 2019.

1. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

Good photos but I wonder how would you distinguish between Yae-beni-shidare and Accolade aside from the timing of the blossoms (Accolade at about the same time as Akebono, YBS later). The guidebook descriptions and photos of both are similar to me. Is there a place to see both in the same area?

2. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

‘Yae-beni-shidare’ are much smaller flowers than ‘Accolade’.

I seem to be finding them everywhere this year. Even in Gibsons. Stay tuned....

3. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

Oh thanks. I know the Accolade at Vancouver city hall and now I should check out the three sites in the west end that have the YBS

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was going to say that there is a 'Yae-beni-shidare' across the street from Vancouver city hall, on Yukon, but you can't really compare them because they're not out at the same time, so that is one distinction (but there might actually be some flowers left on the city hall 'Accolade'). Also, the "shidare" part of 'Yae-beni-shidare' is a strong give-away - they are very weeping, like weeping willow weeping. The flowers are smaller and flatter than 'Accolade'. Go see the two side-by-side in Kerrisdale, 45th west of Mackenzie. They are huge stunning trees.

yaletowner likes this.