Roadside flower in western Crete (Mediterranean)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Fidel, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Fidel

Fidel Active Member

I would appreciate some thoughts on this flower found by the roadside in western Crete in October. Candidates could be Boraginaceae or Solonaceae? There is a chance that it could be a garden escape. Many thanks in anticipation.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. Fidel

Fidel Active Member

Brilliant Daniel, thank you very much! And also for the link to Cretan Flora which will be invaluable. Best regards.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There's also the print publication Flowers of Crete by John Fielding and others.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. Fidel

Fidel Active Member

Thanks Ron - I'll check out that reference. At the moment I am using a (rather lightweight) Wildflowers of Crete (Vangelis Papiomytoglou, 2006).

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have added this to the Plants Identification Online Resources page. That's quite a nice site, could be worth checking for more than just plants posted from Crete.
    I have added this to the Plants Identification Written Resources

Thanks for these.

7. Fidel

Fidel Active Member

Wendy, it woud also be worth including the book that I mentioned, it's lightweight and ideal for carrying to the field.

Vangelis Papiomytoglou, 2006. Wildflowers of Crete. Greece, Mediterraneo Editions. 200 p. www.mediterraneo.gr

8. wcutler

This one for Greece? This came up when I searched on that site.
    Wild Flowers of Greece

Or I think this one is Crete? This is the one you mean? I couldn't find it on a search, just by browsing. If this is the one, I'd like to link to a page showing the English edition.
    Αγριολούλουδα της Κρήτης

I mis-interpreted your comment about its being "lightweight" to mean in content rather than ease of carrying.

9. Fidel

Fidel Active Member

It's the second of the two - specific to Crete. It's available in English (Wild Flowers of Crete) as indicated at the bottom of the Greek description.

It's actually a bit lightweight in both senses, compared to John Fielding's book which comes in at around 3 kg and 650 pages.

10. wcutler

Well, yes and no on the English edition. Clicking the English link leads to an error and it's not findable (easily, or by me, anyway) on the publisher's website. I have added it to the Plants Identification Written Resources page with a link to the Greek edition and a link to Amazon for the English one.
    Thanks, @Fidel.