HOLLY TREE LEAF DROP....

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Lovely Lily, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Lovely Lily

Lovely Lily New Member

We have a 30 ft Holly tree. We have serious issues with the leaves dropping. It started on only one side of the tree.
    We live in Victoria BC
    The tree was very full and had an abundance of berries. Birds love it.
    Is there something I can do to save this tree? We are at a loss.
    (pictures attached)
    Thank you
    Blessings

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

After two very dry summers in a row, I wouldn't be surprised if your tree is suffering from drought. Its location next to concrete sidewalks limits the amount of water that reaches its roots even when it rains. Did you provide ample supplemental water during the summer?

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd be suspecting that concrete, particularly if any of it is new (laid in the last year or two). If you can, get rid of it and let the tree have natural soil over its roots.

4. Lovely Lily

Lovely Lily New Member

Good day I water the tree well in the summertime. The side walk has been here for years. But the tar and dig up of the street was done about 2 months ago.
    Would this cause this problem? I was told to dig compost in there.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hearing that 'tar and dig up' has happened recently seems more than coincidental to me as a cause for the problems you have observed lately with your holly tree.

You would need to provide more natural soil over its roots (as Michael F suggests) for it to survive and thrive.

That being said however, you should realize that English Holly is on the BC invasive plant list for good reasons: https://bcinvasives.ca/invasive-species/identify/invasive-plants/english-holly# . The birds which love the berries are responsible for the increasing proliferation of holly trees in our woods and forests - not a good thing. It would be a blessing for the environment to take it down and plant something else there in a container.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

And, not to pile on with what Margot wrote, but that almost looks like Daphne laureola at the base of the tree, which would be another problematic plant... (if so, don't remove it without adequate protection as it can be extremely irritating to skin)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tar toxicity does sound a likely cause.

8. Kate C

Kate C New Member

It is a couple of years since this post but I would like to know how your holly is fairing. Ours seems to lose it leaves when a swarm of sparrows come every late fall and winter and start eating the berries. I am wondering if they are knocking the leaves off.Lots of berries falling as well. It is a very large holly tree in Victoria. Thanks.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

10. Kate C

Kate C New Member

Thank you so much. I think this is what we have going on in our holly.