Cactus help !

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Connor_98, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Hi I am new to looking after cacti, I left mine with the parents after going away for a while I've come back and it's in pretty bad shape and I need some help please

1) the bottom of this cacti had mould so I've cut it off, is this part shown in the picture mould? Or is it ok to re pot?
    2feeb9-lb.jpg

2) is it topical for the bottom of the cacti to be brown? ( Ignore the white stuff it's just a top layer my parents thought would be a good idea )

afd391-lb.jpg

3) this is a newly bought cacti any idea what the white spots are ?

aa71af-lb.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Will B

Will B Active Member

The photos are too small to see much, but the discoloration looks like the fungus has made it into the cactus. I would certainly cut back to the point where you see healthy tissue. Once fungus is inside it will almost always kill the whole cactus if not cut off. Also, be sure to let the wound dry at least a couple of days before replanting. For the bottom cactus, can't tell for sure since the photo is so small, but they kind of look like flower buds. The Notocactus has a pretty yellow flower. Here are some photos of mine in bloom: Notocactus / leninghausii | Aprici gallery

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

4. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Hello thank you for replying !! I have taken some more pictures, there is a little cacti attached the the main bunch wish is brown and I have literally just pulled it over as shown in the pictures, is this one dead ? If so do I need to remove it from the main cactus ?

Also is it worth me separating the 2 big cacti and potting them separately?

Also the bases of them are brown but solid is this normal?

Thanks very much !!

Attached Files:

5. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Thank you for the reply I have added some more pictures

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2018
  6. Will B

Will B Active Member

Yes, the little one is most certainly dead and looks like it rotted. All diseased tissue should definitely be removed as otherwise it is likely to continue to spread. Some cacti can develop a brown coloration at their base that is not necessarily indicative of disease, but since one has died from disease already I would probably separate them and cut out anything resembling diseased tissue to improve the chances some will survive.

7. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Thanks you for the reply, I have taken the cacti out of the soil was super easy as it hadnt actually taken to the soil it was in, the soil that is attached the roots is compact but to me the roots seem dead am I right in thinking this ? I can literally just brush the soil and roots of with my finger here is a picture

Attached Files:

8. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Update I've cut the roots complety in half this is the results I'm no expert sooo what do you think ?

Attached Files:

9. Will B

Will B Active Member

Looks infected to me. I would suggest cutting the cactus above the discoloration. If you accidentally cut into infected tissue make sure you wash or otherwise disinfect your knife. You don't want to transfer the infection into healthy tissue. Let the cut air dry for at least a couple of days until they callous, then plant in a well draining mixture. Here is a link on an article on how to root cactus cuttings: Cactus Cuttings FAQ ... good luck!

10. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

That's awesome thank you very much for the help I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, but one last question when I was cutting the cacti some of them were easier to cut than others is this normal? I assume just the size of it makes it harder to cut ? Also the ring in the centre is much darker and tougher in the picture compared to the others

Attached Files:

11. Will B

Will B Active Member

Yes, that looks clean and normal to me. Cacti can get harder to cut with age and growing conditions.

12. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Hello again thank you for all the help ! The cacti are currently still drying out so will let you know how they get on soon, I sent a picture in the first post of the pot with the tall thin cacti in, like I mentioned in the post I have recently bought it from the local hardy centre, I haven't watered it as they said they have recently done it, yet I have just noticed a part on it which is brown but also squishy it doesn't take much force to push through it, is this mould and do I need to do the same as the last cacti ?

Attached Files:

13. Will B

Will B Active Member

Yes, sorry to say it looks like an infection. Golly, what rotten luck!

14. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The types of cacti that you have are better left dry throughout winter. They rot easily if wet and cold.

15. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Damn ok, get is a picture of the first cacti that I have cut, they have been drying out for a while.jow and I've seen online that it should take a month or 2 but the bottom of these are solid do you think they are ready to plant ?

Attached Files:

16. Will B

Will B Active Member

You will probably get several opinions, but to me they look reasonably calloused and dry. I would plant them. Make sure you do not use the same soil or pot that had the infection. Use nice new potting mix for cacti. Also, I would probably not water them for quite a while.

17. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

That's awesome thank you for you the help ! I have received potted the cactus now and haven't water them yet, I have noticed that part of one has started to go brown at the top is this normal?

Attached Files:

18. mandarin

No, it looks like rot too. Cut off that branch.

19. Connor_98

Connor_98 New Member

Thank you very much if have now cut it off, just so I know for the future and so I can learn is it definitely rot? And the cactus hasn't just dried out ? A couple of people I spoke to in the past have said that it's just dried out cheers

Attached Files:

20. Will B

Will B Active Member

Definitely looks like rot to me. I suppose it is possible the branch was damaged from a heat or chemical source and died that way, but the simplest and most likely explanation is rot.

21. mandarin

I would have expected some discolouration on cuts located so close to a diseased area, but that branch needed to be removed whether it really was rot or not.