Exchange for maple seeds?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Hassan aftab, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Hassan aftab

Hassan aftab New Member

Hello.
    Maples are not Avalible in my country.
    Yeah its really strange.
    I am Looking for growing them from seeds.
    If you guys can suggest any possibility where I can swap or exchange seeds with some collector, or someone who has extra seeds.
    It's a lengthy process but I am fully ready to try it.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@Michigander I wonder if you'd be interested in exchanging with Hassan, maple seed against what he has, which I understand may be a wide range of interesting endemic plants. Hassan earlier contacted the Maple Society on this subject, so he's certainly interested in getting it done! Unfortunately I have little good seed of my own this year otherwise I would send him some. -E

3. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

It's the end of the collecting season, and it's been an off-year, but I have some A. matsumurae type 2, some collected (I'm calling) 'Crimson Queen', and some A. g. 'Amur Flame' (which are bullet-proof and considered weeds in some places. Ask around in your locale.) I may be able to scrounge up some collected A. matsumurae type 1. Collected means from wherever I can find seeds. Graveyards are nice because you can find nicer species that are old enough to have seeds, but I keep my eyes open and keep a list of good local sources.

I'm interested in Pistache and trees with small leaves suitable for bonsai. Mostly, I collect the unusual. I live in USA Zone 6b, have mild summers with ample rain and about 65" of snow in an average winter. I have a small greenhouse, so tropicals are OK if special. I'm especially interested in dwarfs' seed, understanding that they are often barren, or revert to type. What do you have?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    emery likes this.
  4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't really grow maples, but it is interesting to note the Flora of Pakistan does list 6 native species and two others commonly cultivated. Looks like they are mostly found in the Himalayas. Gives you an idea of what grows there naturally anyway.
    Acer in Flora of Pakistan @ efloras.org

5. Michigander

Goody! I will look these up . As this is the season for seeds, we should be able to make each other pretty happy.

6. emery

I forgot about A. pentapomicum, I'd trade quite a lot of Japanese Maple seed to get some of that! I wonder if even the UBC Botanical Garden has it?

Anyway, as I understand it, Hassan is looking for Japanese Maples.

7. Michigander

Is Hassan listening?

8. Michigander

Do we have any misunderstanding about Acer matsumurae, types 1 & 2, and Crimson Queen (Acer palmatum dissectum) being JPM? Where did @Hassan aftab go?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2018
  9. Michigander

Does anyone want to take a shot at my ~tentative~ ID as A. matsumurae Types I and II above? The green one is in my yard, but I don't remember the name. The other is a tree I collect from. I don't have the expertise to sort through all the 10 million varieties and state with any authority or confidence who's on second...

10. emery

If you're looking for a cultivar ID on these two, the answer is "you'll likely never know." You might get lots of opinions, but it's virtually impossible to ID an unknown cultivar from a picture, unless it's really extremely distinctive. If a cultivar expert spent some time with the plant they might offer an authoritative opinion, but it would still be an opinion. Possibly followed by something like "Oh it turns _yellow_ in fall? Then forget what I said." FWIW I guess your first leaf is a hybrid (as are many cultivars) and the second looks like the Amoenum group.

WRT Hassan, since he went to the trouble to contact the Maple Society and then post here, he may check back at some point. Or perhaps he's already found all the seed he seeks elsewhere, who knows.

Michigander likes this.
  11. Michigander

Rats. Thank you for confirming what I always knew. I have many ID charts that I have referred to, but I usually profess that if you don't have the name tag it came with, you'll never know.