Fall Colours 2018

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Sep 10, 2018.

1. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

fall18 with snow a.jpeg fall18 with snow b.jpeg
    A rare treat. Snow and fall colors.

AlainK and emery like this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Still catching up from last weeks pics, I took some more in the sunshine today but many shown here have now lost their leaves entirely. Currently a big wind with rain, so although it was still pretty today most will be gone by Monday probably.

Alain, I've never been to Barres if you can believe it, meant to be one of the best arboreta in France by all accounts and certainly looks amazing in your pictures. One day soon I hope.

A. robustum, 'Utsu semi' (3), A. elegantulum (prob x), A. buergerianum 'Hime kaede', A x shirasawanum eval (2), A 'Chitose yama' British form (2)

Attached Files:

AlainK, ROEBUK and 0soyoung like this.
  3. emery

Acer 'Pink Filigree Lace' (2), A. cappadocicum, A x conspicuum 'Silver Vein', A 'Shojo' (2), A. griseum (2), various, 'Mirte'

Attached Files:

chimera, AlainK, ROEBUK and 1 other person like this.
  4. emery

And just to catch up last WE completely, here are 2 shots of a bed which contains the maples (l to r) 'Linearlobum', A. pseudoplatanus 'Leat's Cottage' (barely visible), 'Higasa Yama', variegated selection SF1001V, 'Chitose yama' British, and A. cappadocicum on the right. The bed also has A. buerg. 'Mino yatsubusa' but it lost its leaves early.

Attached Files:

chimera and AlainK like this.
  5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Few more pics from Weds and today.

Attached Files:

6. ROEBUK

Even my two Mikawa yatsabusas are finaly starting to show colours after many years in the ground with very poor leaf change/colours over the numerous seasons.

Attached Files:

chimera, emery and 0soyoung like this.
  7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Only one night slightly below zero so far (-1°C), a light snow fall that melted in matters of minutes.

The bonsai in your last pic has stunning colours: is it the plain species or a cultivar?

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks! It's Acer p 'shishigashira'

9. ROEBUK

Two " Lion's " one male one female , Shishigashira and Ojishi both will darken out more next week, both roughly the same age last two pics are the same cultivars when planted out in 2009 the shishigashira just keeps growing where as the Ojishi hardly moved in all these years 8" maximum if that, but there has been growth around the girth, lifted this one last year because i just couldn't get this one to colour out, then suprise back come the colours all those years in the ground and nothing!!

Attached Files:

AlainK, 0soyoung and emery like this.
  10. emery

This focus gracefully brings us into this weekend's pictures. When I left on Sunday 'Shishigashira' was entirely green; on Friday it had done this. It is always near the end, and sometimes color is not as good as this year: it must like the sun. Pretty enough to dedicate this post to I hope.

Attached Files:

dangerine49, SLR2009, ROEBUK and 3 others like this.
  11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Still waiting for my Shisi to change. But here are some others: My new Ryusen, Twombley's, Seiryu and Ruslyn in the Pink.

Attached Files:

emery and 0soyoung like this.
  12. emery

@ROEBUK on one of your posts you managed to hit a bunch of maples on my want list: Coonara, Wilson's, Sekka yatsubusa, Pendulum J. Amazing!

Here are some more from before the recent wind and rain, taken last Friday. A. longipes var weixiense, A. schneiderianum (3), A. longipes var weixiense leaf, A. palmatum selection (very long lasting color) with schneiderianum in foreground and platanoides and carpinifolium in background, A. palmatum dwarf selection from Lima Gold seed at 8 years old, 'Higasa Yama', the carpet around 'Chitose yama.'

Attached Files:

AlainK and dangerine49 like this.
  13. emery

'Beni tsukasa' (3), 'Orange Dream', 'Villa Taranto' (3), 'Kumoi nishiki' (2), A. japonicum "Blushing Beauty" (eval).

Blushing Beauty is a selection that has been grafted for evaluation (not by me) but may not be released as a named cultivar.

Attached Files:

AlainK and 0soyoung like this.
  14. emery

'Seiryu' (2), 'Hana matoi' young graft, A. griseum, A. palmatum selection SF1201R, A. palmatum dwarf selection (van Gelderen), a. carpinifolium, A. discolor, A. stachyophyllum ssp stachyophyllum, and perhaps my last photo in this thread which is self explanatory.

It's been fun posting the fall pictures, and I've really enjoyed seeing peoples trees. I hope the display is still ongoing for some of you!

-E

Attached Files:

15. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I wish that somehow the pix could be labelled with their variety/species id instead of the IMG_####_#.jpg file id. I find it very bothersome to open multiple windows and figure out the association, especially when I am unfamiliar with the cultivar/species (does the list correspond to row-wise or column-wise in the array of photos, then lemme see, what is the 5th id in the listing? ....).

Sorry for the interruption --> resume showing pix of those beautiful fall colors.

16. ROEBUK

Well here's the last pics of the season from me, last as usual to go into it's glowing golden colours "Shishigashira"( pic one 10.am then pic two 2pm today) the light certainly plays with the trees colours and then followed by "Coral bark" certainly living up to it's name must admit this has looked quite pretty this year with a very early fall change starting at the back end of August and a good two month display of stunning leaf colours, now i just have the lovely red branches to look at through winter :)

The season in the Uk has been one of the best for many a year , perhaps down to the fantastic summer with lots of warm sunny weather certainly seen some lovely (and strange) colours this year, hopefully we will have of the same next year.

Well all the new growing medium as been ordered ,bark chippings larger pots for re lifting trees etc etc and next week we will start all over again pruning and lifting , there certainly has been some lovely pictures fall pictures this year they have been a joy to look at and emery your "Aceretum" will look amazing in years to come just wish i had another acre of land to play with !!!

Mark

Attached Files:

0soyoung and dangerine49 like this.
  17. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

There's a great tree in my neighborhood that I admire from my car. It is looking great now with the sun shining through it in the afternoon. I stopped yesterday to take a pic.

Then today we got our first taste of winter with a snow storm that's supposed to change to rain so I got some good shots on a few trees: Shishi (finally starting to change), Garnet, Ryusen, Ariadne and the unknown Coral Bark.

Attached Files:

0soyoung and JT1 like this.
  18. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Wow! What a spectacular yard. How many years in the making?

19. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Shishigashira, generic A.P., and a random seedling:

Attached Files:

20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you very much! We have about 12 years give or take. Most of the work was put in between 2006-2009, but it's always been a work in progress.

21. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Waterfall and Ryusen

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

This it for me. It was a brutally cold Thanksgiving and most of the leaves have dropped. I even moved a few containers into the garage today.

The first one is an unknown tree that came with the house next to my garage, Shishi X2 and fallen leaves in my brother-in-law's driveway.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  23. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Is that yellow one A. miyabei size? It looks like a Sugar Maple~ The clear yellow is beautiful.

24. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I thought maybe an Acer platanoides (Norway maple).

There are plenty around and until a few days, they looked like that.

25. emery

Definitely not A. miyabei, though the color is right for it. I think I want to make it platanoides of some sort, (was writing as Alain posted) but you could be right about saccharum; in the spring break off a petiole and look for white latex sap: if it's there, then Norway Maple, otherwise Sugar Maple. There's enough leaf variation in both of these that it's always hard for me to tell which is which from leaves alone. Sure is pretty though.

Hey Mark, you should visit some day. Would be fun to talk maples. Was taking drone pictures with my son last week on Thanksgiving, it really makes you appreciate how much growing there is to be done. Compared to the grown trees, the aceretum -- even the "mature" part, looks ridiculous from the air! He's teaching me to fly it, I'll be taking some pictures and videos in spring. Nice feature is you can use the radars to measure tree heights.

cheers, -E