Question about trumpet honeysuckle

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by hokie1999, Nov 22, 2018.

1. hokie1999

hokie1999 New Member

Hello, everyone, i could use your advice.

Here is the back of my house in Virginia, it faces South and always gets a lot of light.

https://plus.google.com/photos/phot...20/6626690357895291714?authkey=CJyp_siJlu6UYA

To the right in the picture is an azalea bush. Past the porch to the left is a holly tree.

I can't tell you much about the soil other than it is rich dirt in which rhododendrons, azaleas, ferns, oak, maple, acuba grow well. Think honeysuckle will do OK.

I want to plant trumpet honeysuckle to attract humingbirds. How would you get the honeysuckle to climb?

2. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

You can buy 4' x 8' sheets plastic lattice and screw them to cedar 2" x 4" (2 per sheet), bury the ends of the 2x4's in the soil as close to the foundation as possible and screw the upper ends into the fascia. (They will probably need to lean towards the house.) You can prune as necessary over the years and when you die and your wife wants to rip them out, she only has to fill two screw holes. They come in a wood tone and white, never have to be painted, and they last longer than you might think, and are easier to replace every dozen or so years. And the wall remains untouched.

3. hokie1999

hokie1999 New Member

That sounds like a good idea, Michigander, thanks!