Identification: Fairly large fungi under a cherry tree

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by wcutler, Nov 8, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I neglected to measure these mushrooms, but I think they were something like 14 cm tall, maybe 6 cm in diameter. The were growing under a Prunus 'Ojochin' (growing on its own roots) at UBCBG. I don't think I have ever seen this type before. Are they common around here?
    Fungi_PrunusOjochin_UBCBG_Cutler_20181107_P1370537.JPG Fungi_PrunusOjochin_UBCBG_Cutler_20181107_P1370539.JPG Fungi_PrunusOjochin_UBCBG_Cutler_20181107_P1370542.JPG Fungi_PrunusOjochin_UBCBG_Cutler_20181107_P1370544.JPG

Frog likes this.
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

They are pretty common during wet periods in both spring and fall: Shaggy Mane mushrooms, Coprinus comatus. They are quite a good edible, but need to be cooked or processed quickly, since their gills deliquesce (turn into black ink) soon after reaching maturity.

Daniel Mosquin, Frog and wcutler like this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, vitog. I've even heard the name. There is a Botany Photo of the Day on it: Coprinus comatus, with excellent links that still work 13 years after they were posted, including a thread with photos taken by Daniel Mosquin in the UBCBG Asian Garden.

Frog likes this.