Autumn Blaze Maple problem

Discussion in 'Maples' started by huffycat, Nov 5, 2018.

1. huffycat

huffycat New Member

I have an autumn blaze maple that has developed several vertical cracks, This tree was planted by professionals (s0 they say)( This tree was planted with the metal basket holding the root ball still in place, is this normal? The tree is about 20 ft tall.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hello,

Leaving the tree in its basket is poor practice under any circumstances, and really poor in a metal basket. It isn't necessarily fatal but it could certainly interfere with the development of the tree. Too late to do anything about it now, presumably the tree has been in the ground for a while?

However vertical cracks are not usually problematic. Typically this happens because of uneven water uptake, e.g. rain/drought/rain where the bark hardens and then the tree puts on rapid width. Trees deal well with vertical damage so it doesn't usually represent a danger. If you see big vertical cracks with blackening and bark peeling back from them, that's another story.

It would be useful to know how long ago the tree was planted, and to post a picture of the cracks.

HTH, -E

3. huffycat

huffycat New Member

Thanks for replying. This tree was planted in July 2012 and was about 15' then. The wire basket was substantial, This was planted using a Hyab to offload and the manhandled into a hand dug hole, by Connon Nurseries supposedly our premier supplier. The tree seems to be thriving but these cracks don't look good. I added pics.
    img_1147.jpg img_1148.jpg img_1149.jpg img_1150.jpg img_1151.jpg img_1152.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2018
  4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It looks fine. The larger wound in pics 4 and 5 is old and healing well, could be mechanical or freeze damage. The long vertical is nothing to worry about, as I described before.

For the basket, hopefully it was chicken wire, and will rust out quickly, or maybe is gone already. Anyway nothing to be done about it now.

cheers,

AlainK likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It looks almost as if a wild animal had decided to sharpen its claws on the trunk: any bears on the loose around? ;°)

6. huffycat

huffycat New Member

no bears, must all be frost damage, I expect I'll wrap it this winter to prevent more damage.