Japanology Plus Cherry Trees

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by JT1, Oct 31, 2018.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

This program covers the variety of cherry trees in Japan with photos and descriptions of each.

The first part is dedicated to the varieties of cherry trees and Toemon Sano an expert in Japan who's family has taken care of a planted forest of cherry trees for three generations. The forest he cares for has over 150 varieties of cherry tree. Toemon Sano discusses how to examine the health of a tree. He shares his knowledge and experience. The first 18 minutes are dedicated to Toemon Sano. The second half covers the cultural importance of cherry trees.

Here is a link to NHK, but sometimes they only make shows available for a limited time, so I can't say how long it will be available:
    Cherry Trees - Japanology Plus - Video On Demand - NHK WORLD - English

This is the same program available on YouTube:

The program is also available on the NHK app for Amazon Fire TV (again, I don't know how long it will be available)

I hope you enjoy the documentary! I think it's definitely worth watching.

wcutler likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks for posting this. The most interesting bits to me were that there is a person whose official title is Protector of the Cherry Blossoms, and seeing how different the seedling offspring of one tree could be - small single white blossoms and larger double pink blossoms. Also hearing that the 'Somei-yoshino', which account for 80% of Japan's cherries, do not produce nectar and don't produce seeds - insects and birds don't go near them, "just people under them making a racket" - the Protector of the Cherry Blossoms was really quite dismissive of them, compared with the wild cherry varieties that he is trying to protect.

This video is really only around 27 minutes long, then starts over.

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I observe this outside my window where we have japanese anemone. We have a few varieties within view and of the two hybrids the bumble bees only feed off of the non hybrid (they spend most time) and one hybrid (spend much less time). I see them occasionally fly to the sterile hybrid, but only for a second before moving on when they realize it has no value just visual attraction.

This is a problem with many hybrid perennials too, they don't produce nectar and are sterile. My wife who is my expert in perennials said there's a real problem with gardens that are designed as a food source for humming birds, butterflies, and beneficial insects. One popular plant used in our area are some of the hybrid dwarf cleome, people choose for shorter height and lower maintenance since they don't reseed. The part that is overlooked is that they don't produce nectar. So you have a garden intended to feed and attract nectar seekers but actually provide little to no benefit when certain hybrids are used. They just look pretty to us.

If someone intends to attract nectar seekers they must do their homework when it comes to specific hybrids! This is something some people are learning the hard way.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the video!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018