Fall Colours 2018

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Sep 10, 2018.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

After what as been officialy the warmest summer in England since 1910 the trees are certainly begining to shut down now earlier than i have previously seen before , after a never ending few months of constant hot weather and even more watering than usual we are now begining to see some interesting colours starting to appear on numerous cultivars , even one's that are usually plain are showing signs of colouring at this early stage.

The nights are getting shorter and cooler now and the trees are responding nicely.

Just goes to show that a few months of good sunny warm weather will give the trees that extra boost they have been lacking over these past few years , not just the JMs but all my other plants around the garden have all shown stunning flower blooms and new branch/budding growth this year.

Hopefully everyone will have a good showing this year and look forward to seeing some great pictures shortly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Beautiful selection and display garden. Thanks for sharing.

3. ROEBUK

Seeing some very unusual/unexpected colours this year due to the warm weather ?

Pic 1/ Hogyoku leaves 2/ Toyama nishiki 3/ Filligree usually a yellow /gold colour starting in October, this year a it's a vivid red and orange , my other Filigree which is in a more secluded spot is already starting to change but into it's normal colour of yellows/golds.

Pic 4/ Sano kaku never this intense at this time would expect to see a more bright yellow hue but later more into October than now.

Last three pics are shigure batu , japonicum harvest moon , and sharps pygmy

Attached Files:

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

(Acer trees001.jpg) Beautiful photo! A great display of color!

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

So pretty, seems more advanced up in the Dales than here, though I know you've had more water. We just got all of 7mm from the storm yesterday, that's around 20% of our total since June 1.

Sango kaku does get that reddish tinge from a lot of sun -- which we sure had this year! -- here's a little one I just planted, hasn't really started into the full fall color yet.

Attached Files:

6. ROEBUK

We have certainly had water these past two days, think we had most of the past few months rain also in the last two weeks.

Few more pics eveything is just turning so quickly now.
    Purple ghost , Peaches and cream , Ryusen , tsuchigumo and Osakazuki

Attached Files:

dangerine49 likes this.
  7. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

First day of fall and I have not seen much evidence of changing color an any of mine except for a few leaves on one of my Sango's and on my Seiryu. My Summer Gold however was doing great a couple of weeks ago and I just noticed yesterday that all the leaves have turned crispy. I hope it survives.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK likes this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

No autumn colours here either, except on some street trees that lose their leaves very quickly -not in my garden, but we had almost no rain for weeks so I watered them daily. A couple have suffered for one day without watering (in August) but all of them survived so far, pushing out a few new leaves.

9. ROEBUK

Few more pics, the Peve Chameleon (3 & 4 ) is such a pretty looking tree this year, mind it had a huge root prune and re pot last fall as did many more of my containerised trees and the colours this year are so much more intense and deep.

Attached Files:

0soyoung likes this.
  10. ROEBUK

After the first frost of the month last night the trees certainly seem to be speeding up a gear now with their colour changes , seeing some stunning deep reds , oranges and yellows and the colours are changing so quickly and on a daily basis now.

Ariadne
    Watnong
    Sazanami
    Nicholsonii
    Aka shigitatsu sawa
    Omure yama
    Peaches & cream (very yellow this year both containers)
    Hogyoku

Attached Files:

chimera, AlainK, emery and 1 other person like this.
  11. emery

We're starting to change very quickly here, I'm trying to keep up with the picture taking. Not easy, much less posting them!

Here are A. pseudosieboldianum (3), 'Jordan', variegated seedling, 'Vitifolium' (2) and 'Kujaku nishiki' (3)

Attached Files:

chimera, opusoculi, ROEBUK and 2 others like this.
  12. AlainK

It's the same here, at least for those that didn't suffer too much from the heat because they were kept in mostly shade (others have had leaf scorch).

'Orange Dream' is always turning mostly dark red. April(2), September(3) and today(1):

acerp_orangedream01_181008a.jpg acerp_orangedream01_180415d.jpg acerp_orangedream01_180912a.jpg

13. AlainK

- Palmatum 'Atropurpureum' and Shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'
    - An Acer buergerianum planted in the garden, over 3 m. tall. It was all green 3 days ago
    - Acer tataricum ssp ginnala and Acer Cappadocicum - both from "les Soufrettes" ;-)
    - Acer palmatum 'Bihoo' (the twigs are red, but the branches and the trunk are yellow, about the same colours as the leaves) acer-div_181008a.jpg acer-div_181008b.jpg acer-div_181008c.jpg acer-div_181008d.jpg

ROEBUK and 0soyoung like this.
  14. ROEBUK

Emery love the 7th picture i could sit on that bench all day and look at that stunning tree , what a pretty looking tree , i have found some times it can be quite frustrating up loading pictures here but i have just moved on to fibre broadband this week and now it's a breeze one picture uploaded in under 10 seconds !! mind you saying that my camera is on it's last legs lots of things going wrong with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2018
    AlainK likes this.
  15. AlainK

I can't seem to set up the right contrast/brightness on my camera, this 'Bi-hoo' has much brighter pale yellow leaves.

(Red Wood: Group 13 ?...)

acerp-bihoo_181011a.jpg acerp-bihoo_181011b.jpg

16. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Did you try a black background cloth? It might help if you have one available.

Yellow+blue=green might be throwing off the digital processor.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  17. emery

It's a nice place to sit. I need to get some more in around it, including one to the left of the 'Vitifolium', between it and 'Shishigashira'. Maybe a dissectum or a dwarf.

@AlainK Red Wood Group indeed! I don't think it's worth bothering with the group number, at least informally, as it doesn't really seem to add anything. Anyway the thing about digital cameras is unless they're full reflex, it is really hard to get the colors accurate.

Here are some more: 'Orangeola', 'Palmatifolium', 'Kinran', 'Ariadne'

Attached Files:

chimera, opusoculi, ROEBUK and 2 others like this.
  18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I could not figure out what you two were talking about. I was thinking the bark is supposed to be yellow and the wood is definitely not red.

Then I came across your thread about the maple society new classification. It made me laugh out loud as this conversation suddenly made sense. And I find it funny how something that was designed to be simple was causing confusion.

This discussion about bi hoo being part of the red wood group is understandable now, but I can't say it's anything clear or simple. It just demonstrates the confusion "Red Wood" group causes even with the experience collector. Coral bark group would at least make some sense and it's not a newly invented term when trying to describe a group that covers red, pink, yellow, and green "coral bark" cultivars.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  19. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Nothing starting to change , here all is green . No picture ... I apreciate yours, thanks .

20. AlainK

I repotted this Acer griseum in the spring, it's 1.50 metres tall and though it got the sun from 8:00 to 13:00 in the heart of summer (from 9 to 12 now), its leaves are still perfectly green.

BTW, it was 29.4°C last Thursday, in a place exposed E-NE, in the shade all day. A 30-year record. Rain and much lower temperatures from tomorrow.

acer-gris01_181013a.jpg

21. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

We are still waiting for the colors of Fall. Here's the first sign. Front yard has a long way to go. Even the row of bonsai are slow to change this year. A very cold and rainy day here.

Attached Files:

chimera and AlainK like this.
  22. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Since I am lacking fall colors to share right now, I will share an article with beautiful maples in fall color from Benxi, China where they had their fall festival this week. This artical published 9/28/2018 covers the beautiful maples in Benxi with photos of maples in peak fall colors and scenery. Be sure to use the next button at the bottom of the paragraph to see all 5 photos of the various scenic viewing spots.

Maple Leaves in Benxi turn red to embrace autumn - Chinadaily.com.cn

Here is another story with additional beautiful photos:
    辽宁桓仁枫林谷:枫叶飘魅摄人心魄-旅游频道-手机搜狐
    If you don't have Google translate, here is a translation of the link above
    Liaoning Huanren Fenglin Valley: maple leaf floating breathtaking Charm_AIAT

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    AlainK likes this.
  23. emery

Looks like a few of yours are close though, John. Alain, the griseums/triflorums haven't started to change here either, with the exception of a little triflorum, planted in full sun this year, that just shriveled with no color whatsoever. The buds look OK for now so I hope it will live.

Cold nights continue to bring the colors on, though most everything in the ground is quite quick, a few days at most. Here's another batch: AxS 'Jordan', AJ 'Vitifolium', A. truncatum (+ bench!), A. platanoides 'Princeton Gold', A. rubrum, AxS 'Yasmin', AxS 'Jordan' again, A. cordatum

Attached Files:

chimera, ROEBUK, 0soyoung and 2 others like this.
  24. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hi Emery. How are you ?
    For two years i saw you, I found that the arboretum “Les Soufrettes” develops quickly well.

In my opinion, it will not be necessary ten years more so that it becomes the maple's paradise of maples of the world and their admirable colors.

Here, near Bordeaux > not yet cold nights > so no colored leaves > therefore no pics ...
    Best colours fall are generally in november.

The Villa Tarranto which you obtained from seed and which you to me offered grew nicely this year of 50 cm. The summer prolonged with sun the every day did not frighten it, (nevertheless in the shade since mid-July).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  25. ROEBUK

Storm Callum hit the UK over the weekend (Fri , Sat) just managed to photo some more in time, think i have more out of leaf now than in, the colours have been lovely but didn't manage to get most of them in image form before the winds came.

Colours changing so quickly now , even ones that don't go till mid November are starting to change early than the norm.

Harvest moon
    Wakehurst pink
    Palmatifidum
    Shigitatsu sawa
    Manyo no sato
    Tsuma gaki
    Mirte
    Kogane nishiki
    Mikazuki ( Best tree of the year for me , such an amazing reticulate the leaf patterns are stunning through the season )
    Un known pink tree for years now , any one ??

Attached Files:

chimera, dangerine49, emery and 2 others like this.