Choosing which one to buy

Discussion in 'Maples' started by shensley, Sep 11, 2018.

1. shensley

shensley New Member

I live just east of Asheville, NC (borders 6b & 7a), depending on the map and am having a terrible time choosing a Japanese maple. I have a Mikawa Yatsabusa in my back yard and want two more maples for my front porch and another one for the back yard.

The front porch is mostly shade all day, it's under a cherry and locust tree and I love the bright color of Aureum but 20 ft tall is way too big for my yard, even planted in the yard!

I like the look of a weeping maple but most I've looked up get too wide for my space. Anyone have any easy to grow bright maples for small spaces to recommend for 6b/7a, 1 weeping and 1 upright? I don't really care if they're green or red.

Thank you.

Stephanie

2. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

Hi Stephanie
    I have had a weeping ´Omurayama' for about ten years. It is now only about 7 ft tall and about 6 ft wide. Don't know if that is still too big?? Of course judicious pruning could confine it and many other cvs. of Japanese maples even more.

shensley likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It looks like you're only about 1/2 hour from East Flat Rock, home of the Nichols bros at Mrmaple.com. I would highly recommend a trip to their nursery, which has a huge selection and great quality; what's more these guys are hugely more knowledgeable than average nursery folks, and will be able help you make a selection.

I get the feeling when you say "weeping" you're talking about what we generally call a "laceleaf", which usually have a weeping habit. If this is so, it is possible to buy one already at the height you want -- even a high or solitaire graft -- and with minor pruning you can keep it narrow. Many grow very slowly anyway.

You also mention 'Aureum', there are a few cultivars by that name but if you mean the Golden Full Moon Maple it won't reach 20 ft in your lifetime. It grows so slowly, it really is not a size issue for many, many years. Kind of like the "dwarf conifers" that aren't but are so slow growing they get treated that way. Except that some of those get _really_ big!

shensley likes this.
  4. shensley

shensley New Member

Thank you both.

Yes, I meant A. shirasawanum Aureum. I just love the color and think it would brighten up my front porch. If they're that slow growing, I may just order one.

I wanted to go to Mr. Maple's open house this year on Memorial Day but I couldn't get off work. I've been wanting to go and see what different varieties look like in real life and not just pictures on the internet.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I'm sure you can give them a call and set up a visit. Worth a try anyway!

Good luck in the upcoming storm, hope you don't get flooded...

6. shensley

shensley New Member

Thanks Emery! This is the slowest moving system I've seen in a long time so we have our fingers crossed. The ground is already saturated but we're hoping for the best.

Btw, I got lucky. Mr. Maple posted a 2nd open house in October so I can go drive them crazy in person with all my questions and ooh's and ah's. Yay!!!

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum Summer gold gives you great color longer and is much less finicky in sun and heat. In fact Summer gold loves the sun and gets brighter with more sun. May pair well in the back yard with mikawa yatsubusa.

In the front shaded area Acer palmatum red filigree holds red better than any other in shade and summer heat. Acer palmatum sister ghost looks great in shade, also slow, and mounding with interesting leaves and color all summer long. A delicate green for the spot would be Acer palmatum emerald green. A great yellow would be Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Harvard Gold'. Super unusual conifer that is slow and beautiful year round! It's nothing like the commonly used gold thread, there is no comparison between the two other than the word gold.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    shensley likes this.
  8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Alternative to Acer shirasawanum aureum for the front, maybe consider Acer shirasawanum Autumn moon or Moonrise 'Munn 001' (is more bush like). Both are easier to grow and hold a color similar to spring color of Aureum through out the Summer.

shensley likes this.