Wondering if anyone has seeds of Clematis crispa

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by cmmwiebe, Dec 27, 2017.

1. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

I am doing some personal trials of Clematis crispa here in Saskatchewan near Saskatoon! I know they are not hardy since they are a southern native but sees sometimes defy our understanding. I have seed from 3 sources but would wonder if anyone is growing them in Canada west!

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Alarm bells went off for me, because I recently moved from a Daytona FL home where I had lots of this growing. Interesting project. I'll keep notifications on here to see if anyone comes through for you. I would easily recognize this on woods walks although I haven't noticed it yet. I'm near the coast but on sandy pinewood uplands. It does better on marl or on damp soils than on well drained sand. I don't think I can mail seed to you, can I?

3. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Sure would like to do that kind of walk. I watch for variations and particularly flower colors.

4. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Did you get my private message?

Clayton

5. thanrose

I did. I haven't seen any where I've been roaming. I expect to be down there maybe next week and will let you know if I see any. It's been cold enough that the leaves may all have fallen.

6. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Just a little update from my workshop growing of plants. The seedling Clematis are trying again to bloom in the low light/erratic heat of the winter season!
    You can see some of the plants over on my blog!
    A Prairie Journal in Saskatchewan!

7. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Well I have accumulated seeds from a number of seed sources but none are germinating yet. I do have other Clematis which are coming along so I thought I would post for a little spring cheer!

IMG_20180411_083153a.jpg IMG_20180409_105717a.jpg IMG_20180409_111010a.jpg IMG_20180409_111034a.jpg IMG_20180409_145539a.jpg

8. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Some seedling production from Clematis crispa and a reminder that I am looking for fresh seeds especially wild collected!

140816-ea7c7de39ba4c4a9ac30586c0a27fa76.jpg

140817-2709454850fe58fbd6e03376f160940d.jpg

Attached Files:

9. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Attached Files:

10. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

I am still looking for Clematis crispa seeds if anyone is wild collecting in the South Eastern States or has something unique in their garden. I now have some seedlings and adult plants but am looking for a diverse source.

Attached Files:

11. thanrose

I actually haven't forgotten this. Just haven't seen any for a while. I dug up a possible as a tiny seedling, but it proved to be ...something else. Was hoping I could induce it to grow and flower and seed. Within a week I have to be back in that general vicinity, and will look at some wild and some disturbed sites that could have it. I'm sure it's still found in the yard where I lived. That's a no-go for a variety of reasons. I'm still in transit with work and a relocation so I'm not visiting the forum much. Are you familiar with Green Deane from eattheweeds.com? He travels quite a bit through the state, and might be able to source some for you. He's mostly looking and teaching about edible wild plants, but he often knew anything he'd encounter at least well enough to classify it.

12. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Thanks for remembering me! No I do not know him. I will see if I can contact him. By now I am thinking the blooming may be over in the natural places.

Clayton

13. thanrose

Nah, not in Florida. I probably had blooms even post last September's Hurricane Irma. I'm sure I've seen them even in December in peninsular Florida.