Rubber Tree plant new leaves curl and discolored

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by AnnaK, Aug 17, 2018.

1. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Greetings!

I am pretty new to plants. Just started growing plants about 6 months ago. I got a tiny rubber plant seedling and I think it was doing alright. Even the new leaves were opening nicely green and shiny. However, I recently replanted it (I think that's when the problem started) due to the old soil being infested with some flying bugs (look like tiny flies). I used new soil which is in Japan sold as for "indoor greens/indoor foliage".

Now I notice that the two new leaves are opening and they look kind of reddish/brown and even curl downwards. I am not sure if it's because of the watering or what. I try not to overwater, and water most indoor plants on weekends (once a week). I wonder if with the new soil this is not enough/too much. I keep it near the window but it does not get any direct light.

I'll attach photos of what the plant looks like now. If anyone could help out with advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Anna

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The plant was likely over-watered before being repotted; the flying bugs were probably fungus gnats, insects which thrive under wet soil conditions. I suggest you discontinue the practice of watering on a schedule but rather water when the soil has had a chance to dry somewhat. Does the container have any drainage holes? Did you fertilize the plant?

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Thank you Junglekeeper for your reply!
    Yes, I believe you were right about watering too much when I originally planted it. And about the fungus gnats, cause the bugs look like photos online.
    Since i replanted it though, I think maybe soil does not retain enough moisture. And that's why the new leaves started to look like that? Becuase during the original soil stage, even with gnats, the plant new leaves looked green and shiny.
    I added fertilizer maybe 2 a month. very diluted.
    The pot has a drainage hole.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't know what the problem is. Hopefully someone will come up an answer. In the meantime, grow the plant according to its cultural requirements and see if it recovers. I just noticed what appears to be broken strands of silk on the leaf in the last photo. Did you have a problem with spider mites?

Document which may be of use: ENH879/EP136: Cultural Guidelines for Commercial Production of Interiorscape Ficus

5. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

I don't think so, but I might be wrong. Maybe I just haven't noticed since they are supposed to be super tiny. fungus gnats that was bad! But I used the Peroxide + water to water all my plants a few times and after reporting the problem seems to be getting better.

Junglekeeper thank you again for taking the time to answer! I will keep my eye on this plant and see if it does any better once I adjust the watering schedule. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2018
  6. Raminta

Raminta New Member

Hey, Anna! I would love to hear some update on your situation as I'm having the same exact issues right now and can't find any valid information online.