Undocumented Fruit Tree, Fl

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Joshua James, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Joshua James

Joshua James New Member

IMG_1751.JPG IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1747.JPG
    I looked online for hours to what this may be but I have had no luck in doing so ... maybe someone here can help me.

I posted a picture of what the flower of this "fruit looks like" as well as the tree ( see below )
    IMG_1756.JPG

Also this is what the inside of the "Fruit" Looks like

IMG_1766.JPG

... Please help me

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have some thoughts, but do not think I have the ID. I am pretty sure it is in the Clusiaceae family, which is the mangosteen family. The genus name for mangosteen is Garcinia mangostana, but there are other species as well, The shape seems too elongated for mangosteen, and young ones in photos seem to be white, not purple already before they have become ripe. The edible flesh inside unripe mangosteens is supposed to be green before it turns white, so that part fits (thanks for including that photo), and the group of four flowers in a cross shape is right. The sepals at the stem end seem too small for mangosteen, so I'm thinking it is some other relative, though maybe there is a cultivar that looks like this.

Oh, and welcome! Thanks for posting this. I hope we get an ID.

3. Joshua James

Joshua James New Member

Wow... I am happy to get some form of useful information on whatever this fruit bearing tree is. Because I've wondered about it for a long time but have never been able to find anything. However I feel it wouldn't be long before I can find out if the fruit is 100% editable ... Because it smell like and overly sweet and less acidic grape.... anyway thanks hopefully we can find an ID

4. wcutler

I'm pretty confused myself, as everything about this except the inside of the fruit looks like Syzygium cumini, which is not even in the same family and has a single seed inside. The inside of the fruit is what led me to say something in Clusiaceae. Do you remember - the green part on the inside was soft and the thick part surrounding that was dry and relatively hard?

The leaves do not look like mangosteen, more like Clusia, but the fruit is not Clusia.

So this tree is near you? Can you post a photo of a whole leaf? It looks to me like the fruits grow single or maybe two together, is that right, not in bunches of five or more?

I should say that usually when I have an idea and have looked at very many photos and not found it, I have had the wrong idea.

5. Joshua James

Joshua James New Member

... Well here is a picture of one of the tree leaves both front and back.

As for the Green part in the middle I can tell you that It is as a slightly harder than a pistachio, which leads me to believe that is It is the seed of this fruit. While on the other hand I find that the "fruit" surrounding the seed is rather gelatinous and grape like but more fibrous much like a your average cherry. ( Also I forgot to mention that this tree is very close in fact its just outside my window, which reminds me... would pictures of the berry developing be helpful as right now the flowers have begun to turn into fruit ( but since it's has been raining quite heavily today would it be okay if I show you these "developing images" tomorrow if the leaves come up as unhelpful? )

P.S I forgot to add that the fruit does in fact In bunches but not to the point in which a fruit would be touching the others surrounding it ( meaning 1 fruit per flowering stem )

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

OK then, I got the wrong idea from that photo, and I think not Clusiaceae. I thought the outside of the fruit was a thick shell, and you're saying it would be the edible fruit.

I have to bow out here. The fruit looks like Java plum, which is not native on this continent but does grow wild in Florida. Here is a Syzygium cumini video.

But I don't know about that green stuff inside the fruit - that does not look like a single seed. On this page of photos, Syzygium cumini - Bing images, does the bit at the fruit bottom appear on your fruits? Maybe photos of the developing fruits would help. And a picture of a seed.

7. Joshua James

Joshua James New Member

The video looked so promising up until ... It zoomed out and showed a completely different bark to what my tree has

I'll get more images tomorrow ...

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You may want to expand your search to include Eugenia as it is closely related to Syzygium. Have a look at Eugenia reinwardtiana.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.