British Columbia: Invasive Japanese beetle found in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, Aug 17, 2017.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I received an eblast from Phoenix Perennials with the subject line: PLEASE READ: Invasive Japanese Beetle Found in Vancouver

This is the text of the message:

Hello Fellow Gardeners,

I'm alarmed to be sending this email to you but I think it is important that we spread the word so gardeners can be on the look out for the presense of Japanese beetle in their gardens.

Japanese beetle is an invasive species that can do considerable harm to a wide range of garden plants. My horticultural colleagues in eastern North America speak of gardens ravaged by this hungry pest. Japanese beetle is about the size of the nail on your index finger and can be shiny green or shiny black. It has invaded eastern North America but is not yet on the West Coast. Until now.

Japanese beetle has recently been detected by CFIA in the False Creek area of Vancouver. It is not known how Japanese beetle arrived in Vancouver. It could have come in on infected nursery stock or soil or adults could have hitched a ride on trains or cars traveling from the east.

If you live in Vancouver, please familiarize yourself with the information below and follow the links for more discussion.

Please also share this email with your gardening friends in the city. If infested debris or soil is transported out of False Creek, Japanese beetle could pop up in other neighbourhoods.

I think it also wise for gardeners elsewhere in the Lower Mainland and BC to be aware of Japanese beetle so please have a look and also forward to your gardening friends and neighbours so you can be on the look out.

We do not want this pest in BC! On the off chance that you were to ever discover a beetle that looks like Japanese beetle in your garden or in a park, please contact CFIA immediately!

Cheers, Gary and the Phoenicians

Here is a link to the notice from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) http://files.constantcontact.com/ec63e494101/e0b87655-f1d2-4d2d-81ee-bf229d287285.pdf
    The CFIA website page, with a link for reporting sightings, is Japanese Beetle – Popillia japonica (Newman) - Plants - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

And the beetle, from the email I received.
    JapaneseBeetle_PhoenixPerennials.jpg

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It might be useful to point out that Japanese Beetles look similar to the European Chafer Beetles that have proliferated in the Vancouver area. The main difference is the colour of the thorax, which is green in Japanese Beetles and brown in Chafer Beetles. Both have brown wing covers, and the Chafer Beetles have a narrower body.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

CFIA is intensifying their monitoring program accordingly. We have a trap near the front entrance of the Garden.

4. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

Hi Wendy,

I was driving along 41st Avenue and Knight today with my window open when this green bodied beetle startled me by landing on my glasses. Then I remember your post about Japanese Beetles with green bodies and brown wings. Is this a young version of those pesky beetles.

Joe

20170903_105753.jpg

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a stink bug.

Minkybooodle likes this.
  6. davesmunroe

davesmunroe Member

Is this a Japanese Beetle? I found it munching on my Kale today and squished it.

I sent the photo in to the CFIA, but I figured the internet would respond faster.

20180611_184451.jpg

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

8. davesmunroe

davesmunroe Member

Thanks! That definitely looks like it. Glad to hear, as I just saw the green/brown colouring and was very worried!

9. davesmunroe

davesmunroe Member

Extra info courtesy of the CFIA's response, confirming that it wasn't a Japense Beetle. This is what they ask you to do if you spot one in your area:

"If you see a beetle on your property in the future can you please collect as many specimens as possible in a sealed container and if possible, send photos of your specimens to this email address (cfia.wstbcpfjapanesebeetle-scarabeejaponaisepacb.acia@canada.ca). Alternatively you can phone us at 604-292-5742 and a CFIA inspector will contact you. Should the images of the specimens turn out to be what we believe is Japanese beetle, we will retrieve these specimens from you.

CFIA Japanese Beetle Response Operations Centre, British Columbia Plant and Food"

Daniel Mosquin likes this.