Downtown

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Anne Carten, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Akebonos on Bayshore Drive with juvenile crow:
    IMG_3570.JPG

2. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

David Lam Park trees are blooming nicely for the Easter weekend. Here is a drones eye view of the north side of the park - perhaps not as spectacular as the middle and south side but it is what the Pacific Blvd drivers get to look at.

Attached Files:

Willard likes this.
  3. yaletowner

Both trees looking good at full bloom on a sunny Easter Monday in the Yaletown House yard - a few petals falling and enjoyed by the many passersby through the park.

Attached Files:

4. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Awesome!

5. CHIH CHING CHEN

CHIH CHING CHEN New Member

• Granville Plaza: Located at the foot of Granville (in the public plaza outside the West building entrance to Waterfront station), there is a cluster of pink trees with a great view of the North Shore.

Attached Files:

Willard likes this.
  6. Willard

Love the shot of six 'Akebono' with Five Sails!

7. Willard

The Easter Parade led by Wendy Cutler was a popular choice on April 1. Sixty-nine adults and one baby eagerly followed Wendy from the Burrard Street Transit Station down to Coal Harbour and then Stanley Park, ending up at Pendrell and Gilford. 'Akebono' in full bloom everywhere. Even the sun came out to play.

20180401 EasterParade Willard_0850.jpg 20180401 EasterParade Willard_0870.jpg 20180401 EasterParade Willard_0882.JPG 20180401 EasterParade Willard_0896.JPG 20180401 EasterParade Willard_0901.jpg 20180401 EasterParade Willard_0961.jpg

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here were the 'Akebono' at Burrard Station the April 1, the day of my walk, and April 5, the day of the Cherry Jam. The crowd was under cover down a level, and also under cover looking down on the stage. There seemed to be as many people as usual, even when several of the audience became the choir onstage to reprise the songs we learned two days before. These photos are from two different viewpoints, first one from the west entrance, the other from the Burrard Street side.
    20180401_BurrardStation_Akebono_Cutler_130539.jpg 20180405_BurrardStation_Akebono_Cutler_122405.jpg

9. yaletowner

Here is a view of the blossoms through the glass from the upper level overlooking the stage performers and crowd.

Attached Files:

10. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Beside the stairs leading to the main entrance of Christ Church Cathedral, on the north east corner of Georgia and Burrard) are two lovely Ichiyos which may have a chance to reach perfection just in time for the Sun Run! They are obviously very hardy specimens as they had to be totally removed and stored during the renovation of the Cathedral and spent a life in root balls for about 8 months, I believe. They are very pretty trees with the leaves which come out at the same time as the blossoms acting as little umbrellas.
    hJa6VriIT6KconPHlUxL8g.jpg Rm8sBupzQkaPjpE8QjQyzg.jpg fullsizeoutput_1325.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  11. wcutler

There must be some rule that says they have to be planted in pairs. I think all the private 'Ichiyo' locations have two. Well, my memory is not all that great, but at all the private locations I can think of right now, there are two of them. That's quite a photogenic little group of flowers - I think the very group that @Egan Davis posted yesterday for ID in Atsumori? It's Ichiyo. Thanks for adding them to the map. I think when I saw them three years ago, I wasn't expecting them to survive, didn't see the point of putting them on.

12. CHIH CHING CHEN

There maybe are 4 "Pink Perfections" booming at east side of Portal Park, near to 1055 West Hasting Street. Right?

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

They are 'Kanzan'. 'Pink Perfection' would have very green new leaves, more colour variation in the flowers. See the 'Pink Perfection' photo at Cherry Cultivars - Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival. Note also the little white flags on top of the stamens in the photo on that page.
    Thanks for adding the location to the map - I've just changed the cultivar. It's the marker location that's SO helpful.

14. yaletowner

Time has taken its toll on this once spectacular grove of Ukon and now there is only 4 left and the bare branches of one that doesn't show any signs of life. The remaining ones are in full bloom though and are looking nice for the Sun Runners passing nearby in a few days.

Attached Files:

15. yaletowner

After Sun Run:
    Now in full bloom with a few petals falling. Balcony view plus north side view from Nelson St and a south side view off Expo Blvd.
    Before Sun Run:
    The Kanzan along Beatty Walk are starting to bloom and might put on a nice show for the Sun Run crowd passing by next weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  16. yaletowner

The 3 Kanzans by the Playhouse on Dunsmuir are older now and looking good today.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  17. yaletowner

A big solitary kanzan is nicely surviving all the construction near the Chinatown Veterans Memorial on Keefer near Columbia. Nice evening for a view of the moon through the blossoms.

Attached Files:

Willard likes this.
  18. CHIH CHING CHEN

According to Japanese Wiki, there are two kinds of cherry blossoms to be green. One is Ukon, and the other is Gyoikou. I saw 3 Gyoikou Zakura trees on Richard Street, at west side of Cathedral Square Downtown Vancouver.

Attached Files:

19. wcutler

Nice try. And I'm glad you're back. But they're Elm trees! Those are the samaras (fruits). Go to Stanley Park to see the 'Gyoiko' outside the service gate at the golf course, near the bridge at the lagoon. It's in bloom right now, was just posted in the West End / Stanley Park.

20. Willard

"Some of the best 'Shogetsu' in town", according to the boss.

20180503 Bayshore Shogetsu Willard P1160349.jpg 20180503 Bayshore Shogetsu Willard P1160362.jpg 20180503 Bayshore Shogetsu WillardP1160351.jpg

20180503 Bayshore Shogetsu Willard P1160359.jpg At the Bayshore.

21. wcutler

You'd think from @Willard's photos that 'Shogetsu' are nice trees. Don't believe it. Maybe with a bit more warmth.

22. Willard

The old 'Whitcomb' at Devonian Harbour Park is blooming about 20-25 %.
    20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160648.JPG 20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160640.JPG 20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160596.JPG 20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160679.JPG
    20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160613.JPG 20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160615.jpg

An Anna's Hummingbird enjoyed some nectar, too.

20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160671.jpg 20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160663.jpg 20181230 DevonianPk Whitcomb Willard P1160660 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Laura Blumenthal likes this.
  23. Willard

Two weeks later, a few more blossoms open on the 'Whitcomb' at Devonian Harbour Park.
    And this time, two pugnacious Anna's hummingbirds in the tree.

20190112 DevonianHarbourPk Whitcomb Willard P1160770.jpg 20190112 DevonianHarbourPk Whitcomb Willard P1160772.jpg 20190112 DevonianHarbourPk Whitcomb Willard P1160774.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  24. wcutler

'Whitcomb' trees still look good, not that I have visited this one, but the West End ones all have lots of flowers open. The burning issue, though, is when the Burrard Station 'Akebono' trees will open. There was nothing open last time I visited, which was over a week ago, and I missed the date of the first flower. Now almost all trees have some open flowers. Buds are light pink. The overall impression is still green. Since daytime highs are to be in mid-teens for the next two weeks, I'm calling for them to be open next week, and to look fine for the festival opening Cherry Jam on April 4 (and Joseph Lin's Walk and Talk in Mandarin that morning).
    Akebono_BurrardStation_Cutler_20190322_141609.jpg Akebono_BurrardStation_Cutler_20190322_141703.jpg Akebono_BurrardStation_Cutler_20190322_141759.jpg Akebono_BurrardStation_Cutler_20190322_142051.jpg Akebono_BurrardStation_Cutler_20190322_142145.jpg

Joseph Lin and Laura Blumenthal like this.
  25. yaletowner

Akebono's on Seabreeze walk are blooming the same day as last year

Attached Files: