Ponytail palm shoot too big for size of stem

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Suzan Lennox 70, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Suzan Lennox 70

Suzan Lennox 70 New Member

Hi there, I have a ponytail palm that has 4 stems. One of the stems is very top heavy and it is bending over in half. What should I do to fix it? I love this plant and don't want to lose it.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It looks fairly healthy, but seems to be reaching for more light. Give it a brighter location if possible and turn it so the shoot growth is facing away from the light. It should then straighten as it grows toward the light. If light comes from one side, you have to turn the plants every so often to compensate.

It is looking pale, so more light would be good.

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Yeah it needs more light and it looks like it may have been fed a little late in the year. Too much growth when it should be somewhat dormant, perhaps? If you have the inclination, you could use cotton twine and skinny wood skewers to loosely secure the floppy growth in a more upright position. And you could cut part of each lower leaf off to lessen the weight. Neither of those is an attractive option but may help it to look better come next summer.

4. Suzan Lennox 70

Suzan Lennox 70 New Member

Ok. I will try that. Thanks.

Ok. I moved the plant to a different room yesterday. Hopefully this will help. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018