Appreciation: Cherries in Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, Jan 25, 2016.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'll keep this general, in case others want to contribute from other Hawai'i locations, though the only other location is supposed to be Waimea on Hawai'i island. The ones here are from the town of Wahaiwa on Oah'u. This seems to be the only place that's high enough that it gets the requisite cold followed by warmth that the flowers require, and there are only a few cherries that can deal with the very short period of cold in this area. The original cherries in town are supposed to be from Okinawa, and the next group as well. It seems the rest of the cherries in town were seedlings from these original imports.
    I can't find the article that said they were Prunus campanulata, which is kanhi-zakura, Formosan cherry. I think I read that there was another kind as well, but I can't find that. These all look similar enough to me for a species cherry. The flowers are around 2cm in diameter, larger flowers than on 'Okame', the P. campanulata hybrid that we have in Vancouver.

Here are trees from the Hongwanji Mission on California Street. Well, all my locations were on that street.
    Kanhizakura_WahiawaHongwanjiMission-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_152649.jpg Kanhizakura_WahiawaHongwanjiMission-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_152859.jpg Kanhizakura_WahiawaHongwanjiMission-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_153017.jpg Kanhizakura_WahiawaHongwanjiMission-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_154618.jpg Kanhizakura_WahiawaHongwanjiMission-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_154756.jpg Kanhizakura_WahiawaHongwanjiMission-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_154851.jpg

These were at the Wahiawa Fresh Water State Park.
    Kanhizakura_WahiawaFreshWaterStatePark-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_155055.jpg Kanhizakura_WahiawaFreshWaterStatePark-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_155357.jpg Kanhizakura_WahiawaFreshWaterStatePark-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_155634.jpg

I have one other location, will have to be a separate posting.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. wcutler

These trees in Wahiawa are on private property, and were the nicest that we saw. Many of the flower petals on all the trees we saw were edged in a deeper pink, and all the trees had some flowers that were pale, almost white, and many that were deep pink.
    Kanhizakura_CaliforniaKarsten-Wahiawa-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_171958.jpg Kanhizakura_CaliforniaKarsten-Wahiawa-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_172119.jpg Kanhizakura_CaliforniaKarsten-Wahiawa-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_172134.jpg Kanhizakura_CaliforniaKarsten-Wahiawa-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_172204.jpg Kanhizakura_CaliforniaKarsten-Wahiawa-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_172205.jpg Kanhizakura_CaliforniaKarsten-Wahiawa-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_172328.jpg Kanhizakura_CaliforniaKarsten-Wahiawa-Oahu_Cutler_20160123_172417.jpg

3. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

First flowers for 2016!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. ZakuraHI

ZakuraHI New Member

Thanks for the Hawaii sakura information. I knew that Waimea and Wahiawa had sakura trees but I never saw them. The only ones (see attachments) I ever saw were the 2-3 trees near the 10th tee box at Leilehua Golf Course. Not exactly sure the type of sakura, probably the same ones as the ones in Wahiawa. I am getting interested in sakura since I try to travel to Japan in April and October/November timeframe.

Attached Files:

6. ZakuraHI

ZakuraHI New Member

Wendy, after comparing at your sakura photos with mine, I notice that on my sakura blossoms have longer pedicels and the leaves come out the same time as the blossoms. Any clues of the sakura blossoms at Leilehua Golf Course?

7. wcutler

Now I'm finding some of the original articles I'd found. These are newspaper articles, not necessarily written by anyone with knowledge of sakura.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin mentions "sites for cherry blossom viewing of the purplish blossoms of Nago, Okinawa. Among the tree sites are Leilehua High school, Wahiawa District Park, Wahiawa Fresh Water State Park and Wahiawa Ryusenji Soto Mission". The Okinawan cherries, according to The Earliest Cherry Blossom Viewing in Japan! All You Need to Know about Okinawan Sakura Events 【2016 Edition】, are Hikan-zakura. I suppose that is different from what we are calling 'Higan-zakura', a white-flowered cherry. The photos on this page show pink blossoms.

Pretty in Pink: Wahiawā Celebrates Sakura mentions that other cherries in Wahiawa are from Taiwan. As mentioned above, these would be the Prunus campanulata, which is kanhi-zakura, Formosan cherry.

Both the characteristics you mentioned can be affected by blooming time. The later the blooming on the same type of tree, the longer the pedicels and the more likely that the leaves will be out. Or maybe the first ones I posted are the hikan-zakura, relatives of the original Okinawan Cherry, and my second group and the ones you posted are kanhi-zakura, Taiwan Cherry/Formosan Cherry/Prunus campanulata.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Name is probably a variant on higan, I get at least one web page that equates kanhi- and hikan-zakura. Also when I insist on hikan-zakura while doing an image search I get an assortment of kinds shown. Including ones just like those on this thread - these last presumably all forms of Prunus campanulata.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  9. wcutler

Thank you, Ron! I love it when things I can't distinguish turn out to be the same thing after all.
    And I love it when you check in on stuff I write to correct what seems to be inaccurate.

10. Ron B

Note that I'm assuming the Hawaii plantings shown are all P. campanulata based on general appearance, geographic location (climate area) - and not on anything more serious and precise. There are related species in existence as well as garden hybrids known or assumed to involve P. campanulata - such as the 'Pink Cloud'* that L.E. Cooke Company has kept on the west coast market into later years - but of this set I think the Taiwan cherry is by far the one most likely to have been brought to Hawaii and planted there.

*Shown and discussed elsewhere on this site

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  11. wcutler

12. Ron B

13. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

I am going to post this, just because Wendy has said she thinks they are 'Probably Prunus campanulata, Formosan cherry or Taiwan cherry. It's one of the few that does not need a period of freezing to produce flowers, and is the one grown on O'ahu in Wahiawa. I did a thread on those ones at https://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/cherries-in-hawaii.87902/. It's one of the parents of 'Okame': Prunus 'Okame' - Plant Finder (missouribotanicalgarden.org).'
    -we Saw them at Kula Botanical Gardens feb 15 2024 on Maui. Kula Botanical is at 3,000 ft elevation in East Maui on the slopes of Haleakala. Cooler and more rain than lower down the slope in Kihea!
    -I saw lenticels on the bark, but did not take a photo of that.
    Kula Botanic Garden Hawaii_ llennie_20240215_164959.jpg Kula Botanic Garden Hawaii_ llennie_20240215_165015.jpg Kula Botanic Garden Hawaii_ llennie_20240215_165020.jpg

Acerholic and wcutler like this.