Fall colours 2017

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Just noticed this morning that a Guinness bottle was left out by our Shishigashira bonsai. It gives a good perspective on this trees overall size.

Attached Files:

dangerine49 and AlainK like this.
  2. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

That is a gorgeous Shishigashira, JT.

Things on Long Island have finally turned cool. We actually had a couple of nights at or below freezing. But it has turned somewhat warmish again. This is my first full year with a lot of my JM's and they seem to be all over the map. I think our very hot and dry summer and extended warm fall adversely affected them. Even other JM's in my neighborhood during my travels have been late to show color.

My Shishi has been green until today when I spied some red overtones on some of the leaves. The Butterfly, Peaches & Cream, Tsuma Gaki, Mikawa Yatsubusa, and Waterfall have not shown any significant fall color. The Autumn Moon was gorgeous throughout the spring and early summer but had a lot of leaf scorch so no fall display. I moved it to a new location. The Viridis is looking good right now with a lot of varied color. The Garnet turned red for 10 minutes and dropped all its leaves.

My most consistent performer has been Sango Kaku. Last fall it was a beautiful yellow with orange overtones. (See my thumbnail). This year it turned a beautiful yellow, but no orange. I love it so much I bought another one at a year end sale. We had a rainy and windy night and both are now almost leafless. The beautiful red bark is a real winter bonus.

I acquired a new Higasyama at a year end sale and even though it has a lot of pre-existing leaf scorch it has a nice rosy glow.

My Seiryu has finally turned this week and it's showing some nice red color.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  3. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

I'm just new to the forum but thought I'd upload photos of two favourites from my garden. Acer palmatum Aureum and A. p. Ichigyoki in their final fling of fall colour. The Aureum loves the dappled shade of a large Crimson King whereas the Ichigyoki enjoys full sun.

Attached Files:

chimera, ROEBUK, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Four more trees in the late afternoon sunlight today shishigashira , sekka yatsabusa , seiryu and my emerald lace which has decided to be more of a yellow colour this year , normally a lovely deep red, but nothing suprises me with the strange colours we have seen this year, even both of my mikawa yatsabusa's have shown some nice red colourings in the leaves making a nice change from the usual strong yellows.

All the trees are nearly gone now just have a couple of late starters to finish off and that will be another year gone again, time moves so quickly now as we all age !!! Nice Ichigyoji from Ken in the above thread

Attached Files:

chimera likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Not a very good photo, but this Acer campestre, on the banks of the Loire, is typical of many we can find around here. It's a multi-trunk which I think is over 20 metres tall. Around it, some very tall willows:

acer-camp_171118a.jpg acer-camp_171118b.jpg

The last leaves of an Acer tataricum I mentioned in another post. I collected a few samaras, they're very small and look dry, I don't know if any will germinate:

acer-tatar_171118a.jpg

I also took some 15 samaras from an Acer trifolium planted next to it. Similar to Acer griseum but with a different, but interesting bark:

acer-trif_171118a.jpg acer-trif_171118b.jpg acer-trif_171118c.jpg

ROEBUK, chimera, JT1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I've been continuing to enjoy everyone's photos, I kind of feel bad if I haven't called everyone out! All spectacular. Color is really done here now, but I have some I've been waiting to upload, hopefully I haven't already posted any of these! Here are Villa Tarranto; Poplars and oaks in the light of sundown (with our Cooper looking bovine); I think Orange Dream believe it or not; Arakawa; Orange Dream closeup, no idea why this one went so red this year (in a pot); unnamed palmatum that I like a lot, with unknown hime in background; A. rubescens 'Yakushima nishiki'; 'Nicholsonii', some leaves that regrew after the freeze; the very end of 'Utsu semi'; and the end of Hogyoku.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, chimera and AlainK like this.
  7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

cont.

2 of a nice unnamed palmatum with very long color; Higasa yama; Shigitatsu sawa; Villa Tarranto and ferns after a hail storm; A. schneiderianum in 2 pictures, always practically the last one to turn; Orange Dream in a very shady spot (2 pics), also always turns quite late.

Keep posting! Can't believe how long things are going in Yorkshire, who'd have thought it! ;)

-E

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and chimera like this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Acer p. palmatum, one of the few maples that are not potted, Nov. 21st. This is the W-SW side. There were still some green leaves on the other side:

ja.acerp_171121a.jpg ja.acerp_171121b.jpg ja.acerp_171121c.jpg

This evening, it looked like it was on fire in the last rays of sunset:

ja.acerp_171125b.jpg ja.acerp_171125a.jpg

9. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Shishigashira looking good in the afternoon sun:

Attached Files:

10. ROEBUK

emery these four are always the last to finish every year with out fail, posted them on the Tuesday when we had a couple of hours late afternoon sun then after that we had some terrible weather (again) for two whole days afterwards which basically blew every thing off, so just managed to get some nice pics of them before they dropped.

Today we also had our first snow covering of the year !!! but i still have a Coonara pygmy which still thinks it's only early Autumn still fully leafed up. Have seen quite alot of very red trees this season both containerised and ground planted which i normally wouldn't expect to see ?

The whole season got off to a good start with excellent spring and summer colours, but then came the awful weather starting around mid July and everything just seemed to go down hill from there , early fall changes and some quite poor colours to follow, now this just applied to my trees others might have seen no change whatsoever but mine have certainly been below par this year. Now we have the long five month wait to start all over again, happy days.

Loved your pictures, the Villa taranto looked stunning in a very nice location.

11. ROEBUK

The last two trees to finish the end of the fall season for me , Coonara pygmy and a Murasaki kiyohime this one i have had in the ground for the past six years grows nicely and is fully leafed out by mid April but always gets frost burnt come the end of the month when we always seem to have a couple of severe late air frost days , then of course it looks terrible for the rest of the season but does rally round come the 2nd flush, bottom pic MK in early April before the frost hit.

The same happened this year so i decided basically to remove the complete lower section of the tree and containerise it and see how it coped , so it just had the top crown on display but with all of the bottom half of the trunk and lower branches on show.

This is the first time in all the years i have had this tree that i have ever seen any decent colours in the fall on this cultivar, must admit it can be a bit of a average tree and doesn't set the garden on fire during the season , so it's been a welcome surprise to finally see some nice colours on it. Will just have to wait and see now if the spring colours are more prevalent plus i now also have the advantage of moving this tree to shelter come the warning signs of imminent frosts when leafing out.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.